Troubleshooting A/C

Any tips on troubleshooting the A/C on my '94 Jetta? Compressor does not come on at all when button is pushed. Last year I replaced one of the coolant temp sensors (the rearmost one with 2 wires) and it worked wonderfully until this spring. (the problem last year was that it would come on for a few seconds and then cut out). I am hesitant to take it to a garage as they tend to throw parts at problems until it is fixed. Could this just be low refrigerant, or some simple electrical problem? Is there anyway to "hotwire" the system to test the compressor?

PS - the car is BLACK, I'm sweating my a** off here.

Thanks! Mike Kayer

Reply to
MK

First thing you need to do is find out if it's low on Freon.

Reply to
Woodchuck

DUNNO, but if your is the same as my 97 cabrio, there is a pressure switch attached to the dryer. If it senses no presssure in the system it wont let the compressor work. Then you may either be low in freon or the switch is broken. To test the switch, just disconnect the plug from the pressure switch and jump it. There should be four contacts. Two will make the hi speed fun work, and the other two will make the compressor work.

good luck

Reply to
Eduardo B.

Thank you SOOOO much! My problem was actually just a bad connection at this switch! I unplugged it, plugged it back in, and BLAMMO! Ice cold air! Now if I'd only posted this months ago...

Mike Kayer

Reply to
MK