1991 VW Golf...Speedometer not working....

91 VW Golf 5-speed

The speedometer is not working at all. What could the possible causes be?

I know there's a speedo cable, head, and gear, but I don't know how to check any of them??

THANKS!:)

Reply to
bigbossfan80

Want to know a really easy way to check from the tranny to the speedo head? Put the car up on jack stands (front) and pull out the instrument cluster. Start the car and put it into gear and see if the cable turns. If it doesn't turn it;s either the cable or the gear in the tranny. If it does turn your speedo head is defunct.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

I've had my cable come loose just from poking around under the hood and bumping it. Go under the hood and give the cable a nudge towards the inside of the car to ensure it's seated properly on the instrument cluster.

Reply to
Matt B.