veg oil in transporter

Hi, I've just purchased a '95 transporter 2.4 diesel camper and want to convert it to run on recycled veg oil.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this. How tollerant are they to running without conversion or is the oil too thick? Or would it be better to blend say 20/80 or 50/50 with diesel to start with.

Eventually I'd like to get a preheating two tank system but they're =A3500 which is a bit on the steep side. Having said that, if my engine gets knackered without it then it's probably well worth the cash.

Any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Gavin.

Reply to
blokedownpub

You can burn oil, but without a system it'll clog your injector pump. You have to start on diesel, and run diesel through it before you shut it off. There is a 20% mixture in the states that any diesel car run with fuel lines changed out, I have no idea if it's agailable in the UK. There's lots of information on the web, you'll want to do some research.

Reply to
Thomas Curmudgeon

Search for biodiesel

Reply to
HotRod

Here is a link of facts and myths of bio-diesel from a commercial site that sells products. I was surprised to read that according to this FAQ all you need is to screen food particles (like pieces of old french fries).

I bet with these fuel prices going up and up and up the VW diesel owners feel they are smelling like a rose, with the mileage capability.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

That's if you make bio, which isn't an easy thing, it's still mixed with

80% diesel. You need VERY clean oil to burn as 100% veg fuel.

I buy biodiesel in California, but haven't checked on prices since they went up recently. Should be a little cheaper, was about the same at $2.30 a gallon.

It'd be nice to use 100%, but such a hassle (begging old oil, collecting, drums sitting around, etc.) I've not decided to go that route, maybe if $3 fuel sinks in ...

Reply to
Thomas Curmudgeon

Not according to this webpage.

No apparent diesel oil added only methanol which is a fraction of the amount. About begging - all you have to do is call a manager of a fast food joint even talk to an employee- maybe this is begging for old veggie oil - but if I were into it with this equipment I would have no trouble making phone calls. 1000s of restaurants - the only bad thing is IF there were a lot of people into it - actually I am not affiliated, obviously, but this looks like the best way - to get your own equipment and make it yourself, imo. Make 40 or 50 gallons at a time. If a person was one of the orignal people in an area, probably find 3, 4, or more places to regularly pick up their old veggie oil.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

I've just done a little reading (and used a few tanks), and can't for the life of me find the links I'd read before. Here's another link for making bio:

And here's a general link about biodiesel:

If you want to make the stuff, I say all the power too ya. It's more than I can see taking on. and honestly if I was so inclined, I imagine I'd want to set my car up to burn pure oil. I mean, if I'm going to go to the trouble to collect and store the stuff, why not go all the way?

I saw a guy on Huel Howser who had a business making the vehicle kits. Quite a self promoter. He got his oil from one expensive sushi restaurant, and though he didn't mention it, I imagine he used that oil because it was so clean and not used up. I've heard that oil that's overused isn't as effective, and harder to prepare (for 100%).

Around here, especially the chain food places, already have contracts to sell oil. But with enough footwork you could certainly find sources. Plus in California you are supposed to be a licensed renderer to pick the stuff up. Probably not really hard to do, but still bureaucratic red tape for something that should be easier.

I'm no expert, but much of what I've read has dissuaded me from taking the plunge. But there's noting like $3+/gallon fuel as an incentive. Good luck if you can get going on bio.

Reply to
Thomas Curmudgeon