VW Golf towing delema

Thanks for the info, though I couldn't tell though whether that's a turbo or not. I think that could be the issue with gas engines. Consider for example the recent thread about synthetic oil, suggests something may be a bit marginal in that area, and dragging a heavy load could put it over the edge. All speculation on my part, of course, but it is sort of funny that that's the only engine VWoA didn't give a rating for.

Turbo gas engines always seem like they are running on borrowed time in the best of circumstances. ;-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Hackett

No, it's not a turbo, it's the new gasoline-direct-injection engine.

Almost all new (european) cars use sythetic oil (turbo or not) mostly because of change intervals extended to 30-50 000km.

That seems to be a VWoA thing, over here the rating for the A4 1.8t was in the 1300-1500kg range, and yes of course it could be had with a trailer hitch from the factory. Back to your "box" trailer. How fast do you want to go with it? Assuming the 150HP turbo will have a v_max of about 220km/h, and considering that wind drag is proportional to the third power of the (air-)speed you would be able to go over 170km/h with a trailer that doubled the wind-drag compared to driving solo. Even with a trippled wind-drag you would still be able to run over 150km/h at full throttle. Do you really want to go that fast with a trailer?

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

Thanks for that bit of info, certainly makes me feel better about the idea. Might have missed that if you mentioned it earlier.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Hackett

replying to Woodchuck, ba wrote: I have a 2004 TDI Golf and have a hitch on it, put on at u-Haul

Reply to
ba