vw power steering fluid required?

While draining the cooling system on a 96 Golf, I disconnected the lower most hose in the vicinity of the water pump which drained my power steering fluid. Bentley says to replace only with VW fluid. Is that necessary or is there something more readily available at a reasonable price?

Reply to
Roger Levy

When my power steering unit ('87 16V Scirocco) was leaking, my mechanic used transmission fluid to top it up, and I bought a quart of the same to keep in the car until I could get the unit replaced. The car has been running on the new unit, with that same type of fluid in it, for a couple of years and over 20K miles now. The unused portion is still in the trunk of the car. My son has been using that car, so I can't run out and look now, but he'll be over tomorrow. If you like (and you think it's applicable to a '96) I can look then and let you know.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

It is normal ATF which goes into a powersteering unit to my knowledge.

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

Reply to
Nathan Lucas

That's it, but read the message from Nathan Lucas on why this doesn't apply to the '96 of the OP.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Thanks. Good to know the relevant date as well. I assume this will be the date in the data plate in the door jam?

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

I have seen it for like $15 a liter. I believe you would need 2 liters. I have a 96 Golf 2L.

Reply to
Jeff

Yep this sounds familiar. I've seen that in the Bentley for my A2 I think.

Reply to
Matt B.