Was A/C problem on 1987 GTI....fixed now need to know how many cans of 134a to add

Hello all and thanks for the advice.

I got the system running and was able to charge it. There is just one thing. I do not know how many cans of 134a to add. I do not have any gauges so I am doing this by feel. I added 2 cans and the system seems to be cooling well. I am just not sure if it is cooling as well as it should. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
David Craig

That's plenty. As I recall it's something like 80% of the R-12 amount. There are inexpensive "kits" that have a low side gauge only you may want to get net time.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Many places sell kits that have an indicator gauge when the low side pressure is adequate when the AC is engaged.

You can't go by the cooling affect if the heater hose bypass is leaking by, introducing heat into the inside of the car. This along with AC cooling.

VW made it more difficult to bypass this with a hose as the inlet and outlet hoses are different diameter to the heater core.

Reply to
Jonny

Reply to
none2u