Weird Renault 19 clutch incident

Today the clutch pedal on my 1996 Renault 19 seemed to pop i.e. the pedal suddenly had no resistance and just hit the floor. Initially I though the clutch cable had snapped. However when I pushed the clutch in again there was a kind of ratchet sound, and after pumping the clutch pedal with my foot it all seemed to go back to normal again.

Does anyone know what could have happened, and if the car is safe to drive?

Cheers

Reply to
James

If it has automatic clutch adjustment, it's suddenly decided to work. The one on my Xantia doesn't. I've had to take up the excess free play at the lever end by using a couple of plastic bits out of my plumbing junk box. DaveK

Reply to
DaveK

Sounds like the auto adjustment ratchet has a problem. It will happen again unless you replace the pedal box.

Reply to
Alan

Ooer, sounds expensive :-(

Reply to