What would the MPG for a Golf GTi 2.0 be?

Hi, I posted a question, a week ago about common faults on a Golf GTi. I managed to Buy one, I filled my gas tank up, and my eyes were spinning, as the price was spinning. From total empty, it went up to £45.00. How many MPG's should i expect, as an average?

Thanks ;-)

Reply to
NTL

Well, it's a 55l tank, so at 90p a litre 45UKP is filling up from near empty (about 5l left). I get about 38mpg on a fast motorway run, 35 on an A road dash, and 25-30 around town pootle. 40+ is doable, if tiresome.

Rob (98 GTi, 104k)

Reply to
Rob

Unfortunately we don't yet have the MkV GTI here in Canada, but comparing the new Jetta specs, I believe that both the MkIV and MkV GTI Turbos have the same mileage rating (Canadian site, Canadian versions). That is 41mpg Highway driving for 5-speed, 38Mpg for Auto.

(I am making assumptions here based on that pound-Stirling sign in your post).

I have a 2003 1.8T, 5-speed and I have NEVER had that figure. Once, after 12 hours of highway driving at 100-120Kph I hit 40mpg (Sorry, the distances are in Kph and our gas is bought in Litres, but my brain still thinks in MPG).

I average on highway-only driving 35-37Mpg, City only about 32-34Mpg. I've occasionally been under

30Mpg. Winter driving hurts a bit more here as well.

My mileage truly SUCKED the 1st 8000Km/5000Mi. I understand that the Mk Vs have the same issue. Driving gently does NOT seem to improve mileage (something like my three Fiats way back when), so you might as well enjoy the Turbo, and all those (6?) gears.

The bike rack on top all summer, and the sunroof ALWAYS open probably doesn't help a lot either.

I usually fill up shortly after the warning light comes on, usually at 600Km. putting in 50-52 litres.

The consolation for us Canucks though is that gas is approx. $1/litre whereas your petrol runs £1/litre so we are a little under half the price. It is even cheaper for the Yanks, but they bitch more about it.

Glen McLean - Ottawa

'87 Jetta GLI, '97 Golf CL, '03 GTI 1.8T

(Remove the ".NIT.invalid" from the end of my address)

Reply to
Glen McLean

I have a 1997 gti 16v with 112k on the clock. The computer shows average of around 31mpg in winter and upto 34 in summer. Think that is pretty good as I only do short journey's to work (about 4 miles). If driven very carefully on a motorway can achieve over 40mpg (just).

Reply to
vw-stuff

My sympathies go with you. Whilst the Gti is a desireable motor to have and no doubt is great fun to drive,in these times I'd tend to compromise and perhaps get a Tdi. Mind you,i do have guilt trips about treating myself (poor upbringing you see..) and so i tend to be a bit of a tight wad.

tarquinlinbin

Yep be thankful its a relatively small tank, I've been chucking fuel in some cars lately where £30 = half tank :/

Reply to
Jon B