Extended Warranty..Yes or No?

Tough question but let me elaborate. I work on my own cars, with the exception of warranty repairs and always have. First thing I do is purchase all the FSM for any car I buy. My Caprice has over 300k miles on it and runs fine, my T-bird has 187k miles and is for sale because I hate but it runs. My Caravan (don't ask, my wife had to have it) has 44k and has been in 4 times for warranty stuff, but the extended warranty was free with it so I pay nothing. I haven't had a car not make 200k miles and I attribute it to oil/filter every 3k and common sense in the choice of cars.

So anyway, I just purchased a 2003 Jetta GLS for my daughter/wife and of course am going to get the Bentley manual and I am also considering an OBD II scanner because I can use it on my Dodge as well.

So that brings me to the ultimate question.......

Extended warranty (100k miles no deduct at $1700) or not? I have the standard 4 year bumper to bumper (actually 3 years because this is a 2003 dealer demo car) and the 5 year power train as well as the emissions warranty that everyone gets.

All the normal stuff like starters, alternators,master cylinders, sensors etc I can easily handle.

Pistons falling out of the 2.0l engine is beyond my abilities.

So what's the skinny on these cars? Do they suffer from MAJOR ($$$$$$$) expenses or just the normal stuff? Should I spring or not?

Psycho

Reply to
psycho_pastrami

Not to mention the warranty company going bankrupt like warranty gold's carried recently did. Joe

Reply to
Joe R

Also not to mention that the insurer may fight tooth and nail to deny coverage.

Reply to
tf

You should get the 10yr/100m warranty. It's free! Oh wait......... they don't give that anymore.

Reply to
Golf Pro