Windshield replacement '02 Passat

I have an '02 Passat GLS. Windshield cracked yesterday on a Maryland highway as a result of a stone kicked up by another vehicle (I understand this is fairly common in that state).

Wondering what the typical replacement costs are... Last time I replaced a windshield was in 1992 on a different car. Ran about $300 and I am expecting it to be MUCH more expensive.

TIA. JCF

Reply to
JCF

Grab the "Yellow Book" and start calling various glass shops for pricing. Also doesn't your auto insurance cover such issues?

Reply to
Woodchuck

That's great advice.

They cover anything above the deductible, that's all.

Reply to
Lunatic Fringe

I live in Md and have had several Windshields replaced and none have cost me a cent. I have State Farm insurance and they wave the deductable on windshields. In fact my Passat was just done last Friday and they came right to my work and did the job. Call your insurance company and see if the deductable applies, if it does, call some of the glass shops in the phone book, some of them will pay the detuctable in order to get the job. Seems like they are all trying to cut each others throat. Good Luck, Butch

Reply to
Anton382

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Anton382) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m01.aol.com:

On my policy, 100% glass coverage is a separately priced (but cheap) option.

At least I think it is; it's been a while since I've read the thing cover to cover.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Ok Guys now you must have started something. I go out to go to work yesterday and my drivers door window is broken out, nothing disturbed just a shattere window. Once I had a police report the first glass place I called was out within the hour to replace it at no cost to me at all. He said many of the State Farm insured vehicles are done at no charge and if there is a deductable, many glass shops will eat that in order to get the job, like I said in my earlier post. So call your insurance agent, and if you have a deductable, call around to the different glass shops.

Thanks, Butch

Reply to
Anton382

Follow-up here. Actually, turned out not to be so. After having several technicians miss their appointments here, I got it replaced yesterday for $320 installed - including a $40 discount for the missed appointment.

Reply to
JCF