02 passat check engine light.

Our 02 Passat just turned 50,800 miles. The check engine light just came on.

Does it come on for the 50K mile service ? Even if it is not exactly at

50K ?

It is running well and other recent car issues have stretched the wallet to where it hurts.

Reply to
steve

NO.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Take the car to AutoZone and have them do the scan. They will do this for free.

Also check your warranty for emissions-specific warranty.

steve wrote:

Reply to
Mark

The light with the engine symbol is a steady amber. The dealer says that that is an emissions issue. It will be checked next week. Perhaps it is the MAF or O2 sensor. Should be covered under the emissions warranty. It has

Reply to
Howard Cohen

Our Passat also had a check engine light about the same mileage. It was a cracked vacuum hose. Specifically, it was a hose that ran from somewhere under the intake manifold back to the firewall where it was attached to a little vacuum dohickey. It cracked right at the dohickey. The mechanic at Clear Lake VW in TX fixed it by cutting the bad end off and sticking the hose back on. About 1500 miles later, the light came back on and it was the same thing. Which figures because the original problem occurred because the hose was too short or unsupported (ie, bad design) and shortening it just made the problem worse. The mechanic at Momentum VW in TX replaced the entire hose (ie what should have benn done the first time.

It's amazing to me that VW continues to use WWII era vacuum hoses (the some ones I had on my 1965 Beetle). Better quality hoses wouldn't cost them that much more and there would be a lot fewer check engine light aggravations and a lot more happy customers.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02
Reply to
William Maslin