yet another oddity...

Ok, so I've been playing around with my new 1984 fuel injected gasoline VW Rabbit.

and it does something strange.

It starts when it damn well pleases.

Some mornings it with start right up with no hassle at all, other days it wont start at all.

when it wont start, it will run for about 3 seconds, and die. it will do this for about 5 min, then start, except on the days it wont start at all.

On other days, it starts, first try, no hassle.

Losing whats left of my mind,

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew House

Replace the ignition switch.

-Don

Reply to
Don Mac Phee

Does it have more problems on damp days?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

In addition to the mentioned ignition switch try the fuel pump relay.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

As in most car problems, there are several possibilities. I had a similar, though not exactly the same, problem on my Jetta. My problem was all kinds of wet, green gunk on the connectors at the ignition coil. It couldn't hurt to clean all of your connections in the ignition system, in addition to the other valid suggestions here.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

It seems to have the most trouble on hot days. which is weird.

I've bypassed the switch but it doesnt seem to help. you think a new fuel pump relay might be it?

Reply to
Matthew House

It could be, but right now I would lean towards the coil. Check the price of each and try one.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Ok, so I've been playing around with my new 1984 fuel injecte gasoline

will do

------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a 1980 S, and I know what ya mean about the starting thing.. grrrr..... But I do have a "trick"... Slip your key in the ignition turn it over, when ya hear the fuel pump kick over, wait 3-4 secs then try to start it... side note... it does help to hold your mout right... heh I also keep a screwdriver handy

Try that... lemme know jodi

From VWsport.com NNTP Gateway

Reply to
CarolinaRocco