2000 S-10 questions

Is there any programmability with the RKE system, something I can do myself? I'd like to try and maybe get the lights to come on and stay on when I unlock the doors, as well as have both doors unlock with one
key press, instead of 2. How about a horn honk when I lock with the RKE? I bought the truck used, dealer only had a manual from a 99, I accepted that, knowing that there was at least 1 difference (dome override 4x disables DRLs and auto headlights for that key cycle, works on mine, but not on 99's). Also, because the truck was used, I only got 1 RKE, that's all they had. Can I buy one from Ebay and program it myself, or does a dealer need to do it?
I know on my mom's 2000 Buick you can program this type of stuff, it's in the manual, unfortunately I don't have the right manual for the truck.
Is there a key sequence for reading DTCs like on some makes, or is Chevy a scan-tool only deal?
Thanks, I know you guys are a helpful bunch, and chip in myself when I can...
Different keyless entry systems are used on General Motors vehicles. The parts are not interchangeable even though the parts may appear to be similar. Observe the back of the transmitter in order to properly identify the system. On 2000 S/T pickups and utilities, use a transmitter identified with GM/UTA preceding the part number.
1.. With the driver door closed, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel. 2.. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. 3.. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. 4.. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. 5.. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. 6.. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The remote control door lock receiver will respond in the following manner in order to indicate that the receiver is in the programming mode: 1.. Locking the doors 2.. Unlocking the doors
Important All extra transmitters must be programmed at this time. When a new transmitter is programmed, the old transmitters will be deactivated.
7.. Hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter until the remote control door lock receiver will respond in the following manner: 1.. Locking the doors. 2.. Unlocking the doors. 8.. Repeat step 7 for each additional transmitter. 9.. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming mode. 10.. In order to reprogram the remote control door lock transmitter with a scan tool, refer to Scan Tool instructions. Memory Seat Recall Programming 1.. Adjust the driver seat to the desired position. 2.. Press the switch labeled SET. A chime confirmation will be heard. 3.. Press the desired position switch labeled 1 or 2. Within 5 seconds from pressing the SET switch, a chime confirmation will be heard. 4.. Press the UNLOCK button on the desired transmitter (key fob) within 5 seconds from pressing the SET switch. A chime confirmation will be heard. a.. The transmitter (key fob) is now programmed with the desired position switch. Pressing the transmitter UNLOCK button will cause a recall request to be initiated and the seat will adjust to position 1 or 2. b.. The stored memory positions may be changed without having to reprogram the transmitter. c.. The transmitter feature is available in all ignition positions. Memory Seat Recall Unprogramming 1.. Press the switch labeled SET. A chime confirmation will be heard. 2.. Press the UNLOCK button on the transmitter (key fob) within 5 seconds from pressing the SET switch. 3.. Do not press any memory switch or power adjustment for 5 seconds. Pressing a switch will cancel the unprogramming event and the transmitter will remain programmed. a.. The transmitter (key fob) is now unprogrammed and pressing the UNLOCK button will not effect memory seat operation. b.. No chime confirmation will be heard when the UNLOCK button is pressed if the transmitter is unprogrammed.

Thanks for that Bobo, if I happen upon a transmitter that will work with my system I'll keep that in mind. Anything on programming another key? I DO have 2 keys, but if I find a need or want for a 3rd, can I do that myself or is that dealer-only? I was hoping for a way to set up a horn chirp on lock, with just 1 press, not 2, as well as leaving the lights on after unlocking, not just flashing them, but I can deal with it I guess. I'll print your post for future reference if I find a transmitter...

You can have as many keys as you want..What's special in the truck is the ignition cylinder, the keys are just plain old regular keys....Bobo

But the keys have to be coded so the ignition cylinder can determine if it's the right key or a fake... Don't they?

it doesn't care what the key is, it only has to be able to turn the cylinder.. the passlock sensor and magnet have nothing to do with the key..As long as the key fits, and has the right cuts to turn it, you are all set... You can get them done at any auto store....

OK, was not aware of that. The dealer cut me a second key anyway, they only had 1 key and 1 remote.
How about fluids? I have the G80 in the back, can I still run Molbil1 80w90? T-case can be Mobil 1 tranny fluid, right? I know the tranny can be. T-case is the 2-speed, 2Hi 4Hi 4Lo unit, not the autotrac or whatever it is.

You cannot flash codes on a system 96 and up.. A remote on ebay is ok as long as the numbers on the back match up...I cannot find anything in the service manual on changing the unlock and lock features,just remote programming and power seat memory as I already posted..I did find that if you press lock 2 times in under 5 seconds you will get a horn beep...Anything else we can helpy ya with, just ask...Bobo

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 04:32:15 +0000, Mike Levy wrote:
[snip]
I only counted 4 questions. What happened to the other 1,996? :-)

If you are still looking for another RKE try here:
http://www.keylessride.com
I got one for my truck. Works great. Half the price of the dealer.