4 wheel drive won't engage 97 2500 silverado

My 4 wheel drive won't engage anymore, the light on the push button just blinks. I can hear it clunk when I push it, and when I try 4 lo, the tranny shifts
into low range, but the lamp just blinks and the front drive doesn't engage. Any suggestions? It worked one day, and the next day it quit. Also any opinions on which repair manual is the best for this truck? 97 Silverado 454 Automatic 2500.
shastapat wrote:

You probably have a problem with the actuator in the front differential that locks the front diff. The transfer case will make it's shift into 4hi or 4lo, but if it doesn't see evidence that the front diff has locked itself...the light will just blink. The factory manual is "always" the best.
Ian