88 S-10 no starter

I'm trying to get my old 88 S-10 back running, its been sitting for a couple years. When I turn the key to start I read a 40-50A draw on the ammeter but
no starter or click. If I put a screwdriver across the pos battert and the start wire on the soloniod the starter motor runs fine and the soloniod kicks in and the engine turns over. So I'm confused here, the starter works fine and I see a big load on the ammeter like normal when using the key but it doesn;t turn when using the key. Its just a wire from the keyswitch to the soloniod right?
Does it run after you start it with a screw-driver? I have a camaro with a burnt fusable-link. The link powers the electrical system including the starter solinoid. The cludge solution is to jumper cable from the battery + to the terminal block located on the passenger-side of the fire-wall near the top (straigth up from the exhaust manifold). The camaro will run without the cables unless the rpms get too low. Elliott
Me wrote:

Yes it runs fine after starting with a screwdriver.

Replace the starter,when you arch the two posts you are doing what the solinoid is suppose to be doing.You could replace just the solinoid,but your better off replacing the whole unit.

I'm jumpering from the battery to the wire from the keyswitch, not down to the starter motor, so wouldn't that say the soloniod is good?

I figured it out guys, the battery was so dead it must have been loading down so much. After I got the truck running for about 1/2 hour I can shut it off and restart and its fine.

I still suspect your fusable link. You may have manipulated it a littel and enabled operation again. But in the near future you will find it failing again and the screwdriver starting still working. Jumper cables to the fuse block will fix it but make a hot-wire-short potential situati0on waiting to cause fire - thus just use a fuse-link, a wire, and bypass to the term block.