99 Blazer Question

Hello All,

Yesterday, I took my blazer in to get the oil changed and found out the following things needed attention:

1: Needs front and rear axle seals (leaking).
  1. Transfer case is leaking.
  2. Needs new pittman arm.
  3. Pinion seal is leaking.

I also notice upon starting out that the transmission "seems" to slip a little, it's hard to explain, but it just doesn't seem to lock and go, it hesitates a little.

The blazer has 52000 miles, and had the tranny fluid changed at 25000 miles.

I looked at buying a new vehicle, because I just don't want to put a bunch of money into this. I guess my question is, since they are going to give me $10,000 on a trade for this thing, should I get rid of it, or if not, how much am I looking at to get it fixed. Right now, I'm leaning toward getting rid of it.

TIA John

Reply to
JWH

I'd put money on them trying to bend you over and grease you up for a few bucks. How bad is "leaking?" Are their drips on yer' driveway from the differentials and transfer case or just a bit wet around the components themselves? If no drips on yer' driveway, just think of them as self-lubricating gaskets and leave em' be.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Reply to
Mike Levy
.

[...]

Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 6, 2003, 1:55am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@noway.com (Doc)

John I'd put money on them trying to bend you over and grease you up for a few bucks. How bad is "leaking?" Are their drips on yer' driveway from the differentials and transfer case or just a bit wet around the components themselves? If no drips on yer' driveway, just think of them as self-lubricating gaskets and leave em' be.

Doc ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My first thoughts exactly.

I wouldn't overconcern myself with the leaks, unless you're actually seeing fluid spots on the driveway. Sounds like the normal "Upsale" to me. The only issue I think that you should be worried about, is the possible tranny problem. You only have 55,000 miles on the truck, it's barely even "broken in" yet. If you feel that the tranny is "possibly" a potential repair issue, go ahead and get a fluid and filter change AT A TRANNY SHOP (a reputable one), and have them give you the low-down on what they think.

A bit of perspective, if I may........

I have always told my "Financially Concerned" customers to average out their expected repair costs, over a 12 month period. If the vehical is payed for, this is a good decision technique on what to do. $1500 in repairs, to bring a vehical up to par, is cheap "car payments" in the over- all scheme. (if the vehical isn't a rolling money pit....in which case you suggest they buy "another $500 vehical) However............ A shop also has many customers who aren't limited in their financial resources, and the money aspect is usually secondary when repairs are suggested. These customers tend to drive a "higher grade" of vehical, and are most concerned with the reliability and comfort of the vehicals they drive. When dealing with these customers, you have to sort of help them decide whats in their best interest, by giving them a list of possible future repairs and state the inconveniences that will come along with them.

John, If they are going to give you $10,000 trade on a Blazer that is soon to be 5 years old........

and.......

you are in the postition to financially handle the load without being concerned with paying your house note and feeding the kids.......

TRADE THE DAMN THING AND GET OUT NOW...............

before that $1800 tranny takes a sheet on you, the AC compressor blows, the Alternator chunks a bearing, the right rear axle bearing starts growling, the radiator cloggs up, and the dash starts rattling and driving you insane.

But .....

if you're broke as a bent-back willow tree in a hurricane.........

drive it till it breaks.......then worry about it.

hopefully what you were after,

Scrib Abell ~~hears a knock at the door..........it's his neighbor......Uncle Bunkle......with rolling papers in his hand~~

Reply to
Scribb Abell