Another tire pressure question. Off Road

I have never taken my 2000 1500 Silverado Z71 off into the sand dunes before. I usually just leave the tires at 40 PSI and drive on the compact stuff to my campsite. This time I decided to go back on the
dunes (for some stupid reason) and lowered the air pressure in the tires. On my other rig, I use 8-12PSI in the tires and it works fine (35X14.5X15 MTs). I lowered the 285/75/R16 BFG KOs (junk in my opinion) to 18 PSI. Sure enough, the first 1/4 mile at about 10 mph, I blew a bead on the left front tire. I didn't hit anything and the sand was nice and smooth. What pressure am I supposed to run to keep the tire on the bead and give the extra traction in the silty stuff?
Thanks all,
Derek
snipped-for-privacy@socal.rr.com (derek) wrote in

My experiences with low air pressure is mostly on a Toyota which is much lighter, 10-12 lbs as needed on the low end. My rule of thumb is only let out as much as you need to. Try 30, then 25 etc....I imagine it would depend on your tire/wheel combination also.
Bomber
Neat Idea, but I cut off the rubber hoses on those cans of fix a flat and they work really well. Will air down my tire in about 20-30 secs and didn't cost me anything. Have to be careful about underinflation, but it works OK.
I like the idea of having some sort or pressure shutoff. You put one on each wheel and by the time you get in the thick stuff, they are aired down.
Derek