anybody ever rebuild an A/C compressor. e.g. an HT6?

The A/C compressor on my 96 Yukon leaks where the body sections come together like stages of a rocket (it's an HT6 compressor I think). I tightened the axial bolts which were loose, but sadly, it still leaks. Given the high price of a new compressor, $3-400, I am wondering if I can rebuild this one. Anyone know where I can get parts/tools/manuals to do this?

Thanks

Tommy C

Reply to
Tommy C

Doing HVAC&R for many years ...this also has been a question that has come to me. I used to do alot of auto air years ago.............but they became my hi-tech. I am not saying you yourself could not rebuild an auto compressor, but I have found it to be advisable that a manufacture that has the tools and equipment to do it.............is much better at the finished product. Now there are companies that sell refurbished for about $100.00 to $150.00 out there. That being the case........I would look for one of those.......especially with the labor and proper tools (again) to have for the seal and rings done right............just swap out the compressor........then you have to deal with a vacuum pump, gauges and refrigerant.

just my $.02

Reply to
daytona

Even with the thousand dollars or more of tools needed:

The front and rear plates distort on these compressors, causing the leaks. Not withstanding the shaft seal leaks that are inherent to the compressor design.

The compressor you have would be the best unit to rebuild though, because it wasn't a major mechanical failure, causing a large quantity of metal hamburger. Requiring the machining of shafts for smaller bore bearings, and bearing bores for larger outer race bearings, etc., etc,.

I would recommend that you find a parts jobber that deals directly with a remanufacturer, and have then do an: R&R (Remove and Replace) of your unit. Which would give you back a unit that isn't mechanically inferior, and the seal upgrade for the shaft is machined in.

Just my two cents.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King