auto trans to manual?

As I've related previously I plan on using a 99 Vortec 350 engine that originally came with an automatic transmission and in place of the automatic I plan to run a manual transmission.
Is there an issue mechanically with doing this? What about the balance of the engine. I've looked at various parts sources and none have any referenced about the harmonic balancer being for a automatic or manual trans equipped engine.
My assumption is that I could buy a clutch kit and other related parts for a 99 C/K truck and I would be ok.
Any thoughts on this? ----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

The only real issue here depends on the tranny and if a pilot bearing is needed in rear of crank to support it. (this is not a big problem) Bolt patterns are the same and the 350 is intenally balanced. The only SB's like the old 400 SB that used a specail damper and flywheel or flex plate and it is possible that the crate 383 does too. This is one reason chevies are so popular for builder because the bolt pattern on the small block has not changed for 40 years and shared it with the big block too. GM did change things with the new 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 while the 8.1 and 4.3 kept the orignal pattern. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

appreciate the reply. I talked to one of the "old timers" at the local GM shop. He said no problem. So now its just a matter of more $$.
I think the wiring will be the biggest challenge on my project. I plan to use a painless harness, and have the PCM reprogrammed to do away with VATs and some other things.
Not sure how I'm going to deal with EGR, since I'll have to run the old school type "rams horn" exhaust manifolds. I guess I could potentially drill and tap the appropriate manifold to approximate something like the stock manifold (and use the fitting off the current exhaust manifold, if its removable) or I know I can turn off EGR through PCM programming. Not an issue where I live.
----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Oh the old Ram Horns, i remember them well and used them a lot way back when. They flowed nicely for a stock manifold. They came in two sizes too. 2 inch dumps and 2.5 inch dumps (the bigger ones were usually on vettes and hi preformance 327's and such) 1973 was the last year they were used in trucks. I am puzzled by you wanting to drill exhaust manifold when you should be able to find a intake that has a ERG port on it and drawws exhuast via the crossover in ontake between heads umless you block itoff which is not a good idea for a street vehicla as it will be VERY cold natured at times be it carb or TBI. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

the engine I have is a complete assembly ...1999 350 Vortec, with stock manifolds, complete intake, with all accessories, OEM stock just like in a 99 pickup, Yukon...etc. It has a egr pipe that goes to one of the exhaust manifolds. If you are forced into changing the stock manifolds for the old style above due to clearance issues, you have just lost your EGR hose connection. I plan to run the fuel injection and keep the engine stock...except for the mentioned exhaust manifold swap. I have everything for the engine except the air filter housing. ----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

He's talking about the AIR system.
Al

Sounds like it. One more thing you what to make sure that there is no clearance issues with the ram horns with where they dump at. When GM switched over in 73 to the "log" style manifolds they had to notch out the upper frame rail for clearance and effectively weaking it and it stayed that way 73 thru 87. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com