99 Camry auto trans probs

Hi All,

I've got a 99 V6 Camry, up until about 3 weeks ago the automatic transmission was perfect.. At that time I had a problem with the starter motor so ended up replacing it, the very next day the transmission started playing up.. Nothing major but now when changing gears it seems to thud into gear, maybe thud isn't the right word, but its really noticeable when changing gears.. especially the lower gears.

The strange thing is that the longer you run the car the less noticeable the gear changes are.. Say for instance I've driven around for an hour, the gear changes are almost perfect again.. a lot better then if it had only been driven for 10 minutes..

The transmission fluid has been replaced.. Anyone think of anything obvious that might be wrong or point me in the direction of what I shoubd be looking at.

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Paul Groth

Did you change the filter, Is level correct, Are you sure the correct fluid was used. If it was an oil change place or just any mechanic you cant be sure corrtect oil was used.

Reply to
m Ransley

How many miles you've got ?

Reply to
E Arredondo

First guess would be to check for any wires to sensors that were disturbed during starter replacement. Starter is directly above the transaxle, plus the air box and probably cruise control need to be removed for access. Shifting is electronically controlled - could be a temperature sensor wire is no longer making a good connection. (might help explain why it shifts well again when warm) If you paid for the work, you probably need to ask them to double check each and every connection that may have been disturbed. Change in behaviour day following is a big hint that something associated with the starter replacement is responsible.

Reply to
Daniel