Brake Question

1989 S-10 Blazer 4.3L 205K miles
This only occurs after the truck has been sitting for awhile on cold and wet days. If I apply anything more then very moderate pressure to the brake
pedal, then one set of wheels wants to lock up. I can't tell if it is the drums or the discs. Both pairs of rotors and drums have been replaced along with the pads. The parking brake engages and releases fine. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?
Thanks! -John
"John Manner" wrote

It's most likely the drum brakes....and it's not uncommon when the weather is wet and cold. You may be able to alleviate the problem a bit, if you remove the rear brake drums, and clean out all the brake dust. You can use either a brake cleen type of cleaner, or just use water and then dry it off with brake cleens or compressed air.
Ian
Re: Brake Question Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Dec 28, 2003, 10:23pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (shiden_kai) "John Manner" wrote This only occurs after the truck has been sitting for awhile on cold and wet days. If I apply anything more then very moderate pressure to the brake pedal, then one set of wheels wants to lock up. I can't tell if it is the drums or the discs. Both pairs of rotors and drums have been replaced along with the pads. The parking brake engages and releases fine. Any thoughts or suggestions on this? It's most likely the drum brakes....and it's not uncommon when the weather is wet and cold. You may be able to alleviate the problem a bit, if you remove the rear brake drums, and clean out all the brake dust. You can use either a brake cleen type of cleaner, or just use water and then dry it off with brake cleens or compressed air. Ian
As Ian stated and they may need adjusted also... Steve C
RE/

I experience something that sounds similar on my '98 K1500 'burb.
Goes away after a couple light applications of the brakes.
The one to watch for is the parking brake freezing up overnite. I fried a drum/shoe that way at about 5k miles. Drove away one morning and it didn't feel quite right. About five miles later it was feeling like something was definately wrong. Pulled over to find smoke coming out of the left rear wheel.
Couple mechanics I talked to said "Sure, you should never apply the parking brake in wet freezing weather. Slush gets into something-or-other and it freezes up. After all these years? Thanks GM...
--
PeteCresswell