Differential Tech question

I'm working on a differential for my son's friend who has destroyed the side gears and pinions out of his gov-loc rear end. In researching parts for it
the local Chevy dealer parts man needs to know if it's a 1st design or a second design. Can someone tell us how to tell which design it is? Thanks.
PM wrote:

I hope you gave your parts man more information then you are giving us!
Ian
Tell me what you need? Here's what I gave the parts man. 2000 reg. cab short bed Z71 Vin# 1GCEK14T3YZ242931

PM wrote:

That's good enough. I'll have to check on it next week. By the way, a VIN check on your vehicle shows that you have 3 outstanding recalls on that vehicle. You might want to take the vehicle into a dealership for an oil change, and ask them to check for any outstanding recalls. And then say no, no, no....when they try to upsell other stuff (grin)
Ian
PM wrote:

Well, we ran that vin in the parts department, but no luck as it's a US vehicle. For some reason, we can't get info in the parts department for US vehicles. Non the less, we looked at the parts list for an 8.5 rear end, there didn't appear to be any notes about "1st or 2nd" designs for the internal parts of the locking diff section.
It should have an 8.5 in it...but perhaps it has the next size up. Do you happen to know which rear end it has in it?
Ian
I do not know the difference, but i have one out of a 1975 chevy van that you can have for shipping. i bent the little shaft on the rpm gear ramp. that does not hurt the gears or anything else. old john
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

side
it
Thanks.