Differential question

Maybe this is a question for you baja guys. Last weekend I was testing a friend's standard bug we just fixed the whole electrical system (thanks to
Speedy Jim's website). We decided to take a drive in the woods, and on a steep dirt hill It got stuck, one of the wheels spining freely while the one with traction did nothing. we just let it roll back down and turned around.
The question is, is there a differential available for the bug that distributes the power better for off road applications? For asphalt the way it is seems ok, but the mud is not friendly to this bug.
Karls Vladimir Peña
Add pictures here
✖
Yes there Is. The cheapest of them being a Poor Man's Posi, http://www.geneberg.com Super DIff's are the next step up. Lockers are next And shouldn't be used for a street driven VW. And finally there's the Quaife Differential that is a great unit but also extremely expensive. Dave.

one
around.
way
Add pictures here
✖
Thanks Dave, where can I get info on all of them? Gene Berg has discontinued the Super Diffs, according to his website.

Add pictures here
✖

I thought super-diffs are still an open design, but with 4 spider gears over 2 in the stock design for more strength.

patient: where am I? nurse: you're in the hospital. patient: what happened? nurse: apparently your car swerved sideways for no apparent reason and smashed into a tree.

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/differentials/diffs.htm http://www.sportcompactwarehouse.com/PROD/10-309-140
ZF used to make a limited slip cluth-type diff for the VW. I think new spare parts are hard to find for them these days. Try searching Samba for used ones for sale.
--
David Gravereaux < snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com>
[species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector]

Add pictures here
✖
Nor-Cal VW's wrote:

The list doesn't end there, for the do-it-yourselfer there's always Welding, which results in 100% lock and the previously mentioned warnings apply. NO a 100% lock will NOT suddenly cause your car to swerve and hit a tree, but it makes turning tight corners more difficult.
Then there's the short lifespan "split diff" trick, where you split the axle "cup" in two and assemble as is... the torque and momentum will force the split halves further apart and they will "grab" the surrounding metal and act as limited slip diff. Overheating and shavings will follow, but the budget dirt racers here say it works. For a while :)
I can't explain it without drawing and since this is a trick that isn't really useful to anyone bu those guys, I'll just skip it..
Jan
Add pictures here
✖
The Quaife Diff sounds great, but it costs much more than all the others. So, can you tell me exactly how a super diff can make my nightmares go away?

style
Add pictures here
✖

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/index.mv?photo+109560.jpg
Find one of those, used.
--
David Gravereaux < snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com>
[species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector]
✖
Isn't the ZF a clutch type diff?

Add pictures here
✖

yup.
--
David Gravereaux < snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com>
[species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector]
✖
Aren't there any friction pads or discs to change?

Add pictures here
✖

Yes, if they're worn. I don't know the availability of spares. ZF no longer makes the unit and you can't buy them new anymore.
Ask this guy: snipped-for-privacy@canada.com
Someone gave me his email a ways back. He's known to rebuild them for resale.
--
David Gravereaux < snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com>
[species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector]
✖
If I can't get parts I should not get the unit. Will the Super diff locked up tight help me?

Add pictures here
✖

What did Bruce say? Are parts available? What's your local VW tranny place have to say?
--
David Gravereaux < snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com>
[species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector]
✖
I've never even seen a ZF around here. and being a discontinued product, it's unlikely to find them.
So, I'll opt for the Super diff, aircooled.net still has them. will locking it tight solve my probs in the swing axle bug AND the IRS SB?

Add pictures here
✖

Don't be too quick to discard it, they were very popular on modified bugs in the 70s.
--
David Gravereaux < snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com>
[species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector]
✖
What you do with the Threaded Style of "Super Diff" is to install all 4 (use all new gears here not 2 new & 2 used gears for proper mesh) spider gears. The "Locking" comes in when you install the Side gears (I'm referencing Swing axles here this doesn't work for a IRS Diff), Thrust washer & lock ring. You can torque the lock ring down on each side of the differential as to lock the spider gears together. Tighten the lock collars by hand 1st to remove the slack in the gears & housing before torqueing the rings in to place. Get them as tight as possible and you essentially have a "locked" differential. Only under extreme loads will the differential allow for movement of the spider gears. This lasts quite a long time before loosing it's preload. Once that happens, you do it again To lock it back up. Dave.

Empi
tight!!!
Add pictures here
✖
Thanks for the info, I do have an IRS SB and a Swing axle STD. I would like to have the solution on both. How can I do It?

Add pictures here
✖
I can't help you with the IRS diff. Someone here might have some tips?????? Dave.
--
Nor-Cal Dave
http://www.norcalvws.com