hard starting

I have a 95 GMC Sierra 4x4 with the 350 motor and when I go to start it, it cranks fine, but it does not seem to fire right away. Maybe 4 to 5 seconds
until it starts. I am thinking spark plugs? It has been a bit since I have changed them. Anything else to look at? Fuel flow is OK, ignition is fine
--
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be
sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun !! "

Has it always taken this long to start or has it gotten worse recently?
Doc

Re: hard starting Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sat, Jan 10, 2004, 5:12pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@nope.com (Doc)
I have a 95 GMC Sierra 4x4 with the 350 motor and when I go to start it, it cranks fine, but it does not seem to fire right away. Maybe 4 to 5 seconds until it starts. I am thinking spark plugs? It has been a bit since I have changed them. Anything else to look at? Fuel flow is OK, ignition is fine
--
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be
sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun !! "
Hi, Don't have a solution, but: My 95 GMC 4x4 350 normally doesn't like to start on the first switch application. Hit it a second time and it fires right off.
Lately it doesn't like to stay running if it is off for a brief period of time. Takes some playing with accelerator to rev it up to keep it running.
My Own Little Universe wrote:

Doc, Yep, started a little bit ago2 - 3 months . Warm weather or cold. only does it if it's been sitting for a while. OK if I am out for an hour or so.
Steve: -Unknown about the fuel pressure -Cap and rotor replaced almost 3 years ago -gas consupmtion seems OK -Not missing at idle. A tiny bit rough, but not bad -Never had to change fuel pump, owned the truck for four years. -fuel filter was changed beginning of last summer
Steve: This help?

Re: hard starting Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Jan 11, 2004, 3:00pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MyOwnLittleUniverse) Doc, Yep, started a little bit ago2 - 3 months . Warm weather or cold. only does it if it's been sitting for a while. OK if I am out for an hour or so. Steve: -Unknown about the fuel pressure -Cap and rotor replaced almost 3 years ago -gas consupmtion seems OK -Not missing at idle. A tiny bit rough, but not bad -Never had to change fuel pump, owned the truck for four years. -fuel filter was changed beginning of last summer Steve: This help?
Hi, Don't have a solution, but: My 95 GMC 4x4 350 normally doesn't like to start on the first switch application. Hit it a second time and it fires right off. Lately it doesn't like to stay running if it is off for a brief period of time. Takes some playing with accelerator to rev it up to keep it running. My Own Little Universe wrote: I have a 95 GMC Sierra 4x4 with the 350 motor and when I go to start it, it cranks fine, but it does not seem to fire right away. Maybe 4 to 5 seconds until it starts. I am thinking spark plugs? It has been a bit since I have changed them. Anything else to look at? Fuel flow is OK, ignition is fine
ok need to pull your cap check for deposits.. 3 yrs is a long time if you drive alot....Pull the vacuum line off of your fuel pressure regulator if it has fuel comming out of it its bad....Also how clean is your throttle body?Now what it might be is its taken too long for your fuel system to build up pressure..Need to find out what the pressure is on cold start(not cold weaher but after it sits for a while and cools completely down) then on a hot start..(after it has reached normal operating tempature).Most of the time when i get this engine and this complaint in its a dirty throttle body and a bad fuelpressure regulator.... Steve C
Steve: Thanks, will do I went out and got some AC Delco rapidfires and a new cap anyway. I will see about having the throttlebody scubbed out. Any suggestions on who or what to see do have it done? Is there a kit I can do it myself?
[...]
TOP POST.. Cleaning the throttle body is simple...You can use plain ld carb and choke cleaner for that ...I reccommend spraying some on a rag wrapped aroud a screwdriver to get as far back as you can.....Also I was thinking do you have a Delco battery? If so pull off the pos cable and look into the hole to see f any acid is starting to leak out....Delco batterys have a habbit of doing this ....Also on yyour engine do you have the old style where the ac line runs over top of the dis cap? There is a problem with condinsation dripping off the line getting onto the cap and within time moisture gets into the cap ....Something to think about Steve C Re: hard starting Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Jan 11, 2004, 9:27pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DixieNormous) Steve: Thanks, will do I went out and got some AC Delco rapidfires and a new cap anyway. I will see about having the throttlebody scubbed out. Any suggestions on who or what to see do have it done? Is there a kit I can do it myself?
[...]
OK, where is the fuel pressure regulator located. my Chilton's "Manual" says there is such a beast but does not show it. Kit at napa appears to be guts rather than a whole assembly.
Thanks Bob
Steve Cook wrote:

take off your air cleaner. it is inbetween and behind the injectors.
-Bret

Looking at the shape of the gaskets, I came up with the same conclusion. Replaced it this afternoon. Problem has disappeared.
Next project is replacing hinge bushings for sagging drivers door after I put some fluid in the old floor jack. Thanks