Hard starting Sierra

Ian, Wally or any others that can help my truck has recently decided it doesn't want to start so easily any more. It cranks a moment or two longer than before and when it does start sometimes it falls on it's face for a split second. Also I've noticed an occasional rough idle. All three symptoms will appear at the same time. Other times things are just fine. As part of the 30k service I changed the fuel filter. The truck now has 32,500 and the problems started in the last 1000 miles. I suspect the fuel pressure regulator is going south so I need to know what is acceptable pressure for an '02 Sierra 5.3? It's going into the dealer but I'd like to check the pressure myself beforehand.

TIA, Joshua

Reply to
Joshua Phillips

Mine runs a hair under 7 i checked it last night hope it helps

Reply to
vo

Under 7? Under 7 bars?

Joshua

Reply to
Joshua Phillips

I've got a 99 Silverado, 5.3 with the same thing with 47,000 miles, starts fine in the morning, but the rest of the day... starts in 1/2 sec or 3 sec. Cranks fine, sounds like its not getting gas?? Where is this regulator located and can the average (change my oil and do my tune-ups) guy change out or is this a dealer job? Thanks. B.G.

Reply to
BillGeorge

On the fuel rail, top , drivers side of engine. Has one vacuum hose attached to it. Pull the hose...if fuel is present the regulator is shot.

and can the average (change my oil and do my

Takes about 5 minutes...you can do it.

Dave

Thanks. B.G.

Reply to