help, what is an evo sensor?

hi, i'm new to this new group thing.
i have a 98 tahoe. a friend has been trying to help me figure out what is going on with my steering. the power assist goes out at about 25
mph aroud sllight curves, its kind of scary, my friend has found some refrences to an evo sensor but we can't find it in and manuals or parts listing.
any help would be great. thanks, kristie
Hi Kristie, there are some very knowledgeable ppl here, but also just fyi there is a excellent (free) forum over at http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums / ... select the Light Duty forum. They also have a good search mechanism, I know I've seen the EVO sensor talked about a lot - I think there was even a thread with pics about how to fix it.
kristie wrote:

If you go to the dealer, (which is about the only place that you probably will find the part), they will know what you are talking about, as we have sold literally thousands of them. The EVO sensor is a "sensor" that sits at the base of the steering column. It measures and relays the speed at which you are turning the steering wheel...which in turn tells the valving system in the power steering pump how much assist to provide the driver depending on road speed and how fast you are turning the steering wheel. When the sensor goes south....it will often cause the steering to feel weird at certain speeds as it commands full assist when you don't really need/want it. As a result, you will feel as though the steering all of a sudden over assists.
Replace the sensor and all will be well.
Ian
I have a similar problem with my 97 2500 HD, steering boost will just quit at times at low speeds. Is this also the EVO sensor? Been this way for a year but getting worse lately.
shiden_kai wrote:

Robert Ball wrote:

No, that sounds like a different issue....probably pump related.
Ian