Oil leak from pump - advice

1994 K1500 5.7TBI 175K miles
Hello again. The engine is leaking oil from the pump where it meets the block. Is there a gasket there that can be replaced without the
need to purchase a new pump or other expensive parts? Should I try to fix or just leave well enough alone as the truck runs excellent but needs a quart every month or about 1K miles. All thoughts are appreciated.
//Hunter
snipped-for-privacy@gate.net (hunter) wrote:

Put the oil pan back on.
Why bother puttin' the pan back on? If he doesn't it'll only leak oil when he's trying to add oil to the block.
(hunter) wrote:

How about running the engine upside down?
Refinish King
(hunter) wrote:

What pump are you referring to? H

Thanks for not flamming me Hairy, all the other flammers are just that. I miss wrote; it is leaking where the oil filter mount meets the engine block. Not the pump as I know the pump is covered by the pan. I guess the other readers could not wait to flame someone, oh well, I guess I earned it. I appreciate your question which allowed me to re-read what I wrote. Also, the actual leak is about 1qt/1.5K miles.
//Hunter
On 23 Jul 2004 10:46:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gate.net (hunter) wrote:

go to napa and purchase the 2 gaskets for the OF mount...clean the area up really well and be really careful to torque the adapter back on evenly... if you dont the coaxial gaskets (1 rubber square "O" ring on the adapter, one fiber on the block) won't seal right.
hth, Bret
It's all in fun!
A flame is a personal attack, and lots of those happen around here too.
Just mellow out, and have fun. Someone would have answered you after you said the filter adapter.
Refinish King
PS I still vote on running the engine upside down, if you don't want to change the gasket!

change
Why not, I once saw it done on the A-Team... If BA can do you can too.... :-)
LOL
BA was da man!
Refinish King

Okay, I'll try to have fun! (a few hours later...) Tried running the engine upside down, now it leaks oil from the valve covers, shit!
I was feeling vulnerable before, now I feel better, had a beer and some beef jerky.
To Bret, thanks for the advice, I'll get the two gaskets and torque the bolts evenly. Do you know the proper torque? From the size of the bolt I figure about 18ftlbs?
Refinish King, do you know the proper torque?
//Hunter
a quarter turn before the bolt breakes or strippes, what ever comes first
mathijs

change
Now:
That was uncalled for!
LOFL!
Refinish King

too.
you
I'm not sure:
But, I'd sat 15 Ft/Lbs is sufficient on a 8MMX1.25?
If that's the size? Just a guess on my part.
Refinish King
PS Silicone in the oil filler and PCV valve, then it won't leak with the engine upside down! LOL

change

Not sure about the size yet but sounds about right from memory.
Too late for the silicone, I already put the engine back in the correct side up. I'll try that next time.
Thanks again.
//Hunter
Great!
Does it run the right way up now?
Refinish King

engine

Yep, but it took some time to let the carb get un-flooded. Un-flooded? Is that a word?! I haven't been to the supplier for the gaskets yet. Probably do in a week or two, I still have a few qts of oil left!
//Hunter