175k Engine oil choices

I just now bought a 86 Celica, want to change the oil, and help the engine out.

Should I- switch to synthetic oil? Should I- use Gunk Oil Flush to flush the engine oil? Should I- use something like "Restore" (which is a engine flush) Should I- use additive like Lucas?

thanks, David

Reply to
david

I think I would find out what the original owner used that took it to

175K and keep using that.
Reply to
Sean Elkins

Switch to synthetic. Don't belive all the lies about it causing seals to leak.

Reply to
Andy

But make sure it's not already leaking or using oil.

Reply to
FantomFan

Synthetic oil wouldn't hurt if the engine is not leaking or burning oil. Keep in mind that Toyota does not recommended extending oil change intervals if synthetic oil is used.

No to the last 3 questions.

Reply to
Ray O

I'm at 140K in my Prizm and I use lucas as well as Mobile 1 full synthetic.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

"Reasoned Insanity" wrote in news:ce7Eg.15923$PO.4496@dukeread03:

I was thinking of doing that.. It's confusing there is so much advice pro and con, I want to give the little engine all the help I can!

Reply to
david

I use Amsoil, its better than Mobil 1. Regardless don't add lucas to either.

Reply to
Andy

"david" wrote

Get a grip man! It's only an engine. It has no feeling. No emotion. It will not thank you. It has got this far with just regular servicing so why not carry on just servicing as per manual? It will probably eventually fail for reasons other than lubrication, possibly its finite elements will tire and fail catastrophically. It may happen tomorrow or it may happen at 250,000 miles, but fail it eventually will.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

This is sound advice. And leave the motor flushes and additives alone, you don't need them.

I am in similar circumstances having recently bought an 87 Corolla with about 135K. It burns/leaks about a quart every two weeks. I also own a Tacoma in which I've used Mobil 1 synthetic since new (10K miles). Rather than buying two different types of oil I've been using Mobil 1 in the Corolla as well, with no harm so far - except perhaps to the wallet!

If I didn't already have the synthetic lying around, or if I didn't want to spend $8-10 a month to top up the crankcase, I'd use any good quality regular dino juice in the Corolla. At this point keeping what is in there topped up and changed regularly is the priority.

Incidentally, the Tacoma has 190K miles and uses about 8 oz (1/4 quart) between regular 5K oil changes.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

Stay away form all the above. Use regular dino oil, but change on a regular basis. Same for filter. If you start using synthetic you risk

2 things. Leaks and/or gunk coming loose. I'd stick with regular oil. First get an idea of how much oil it uses.
Reply to
RT

That's the worst advice I've seen a while!

Reply to
Andy

He should not change the oil?

Is that you Charlene Blake?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Conventional oil, rated API grade SM, is all that's need, unless the engine has a turbocharger, in which case I'd use only synthetic. Change conventional oil every 3,000-5,000 miles, synthetic at the longest interval allowed by the car maker, probably 5,000-10,000 miles.

Definitely not.

Definitely not.

Flushing an old engine can dissolve varnish that's been sealing the pistons and make oil consumption increase greatly.'

The oil contains all the additives needed, unless you have a problem with oil burning.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me