Paper+Oiled Gauze Air Filter

Hello Folks,

I've read much about how oiled surgical gauze type air filters (e.g., K&N, etc.) allow fine black dust (white glove test) into the engine. I've experienced it firsthand on our 98 Tahoe 6.5TD. I've also experimented with wrapping about 10 feet of surgical gauze around the K&N filter and impregnating it with K&N's air filter oil in hopes that it would decrease the amount of the fine dust that accumulates on the MAF filter screen (and further in) -- inconclusive results.

I've also read just as much about how paper filter is the best for filtering this fine black dust but once the filter starts getting clogged, air flow begins to drop.

Before I try it out myself this weekend, has anyone tried wrapping surgical gauze around a paper filter (maybe with a metal screen cylinder to separate the gauze from the paper), then spray the gauze with filter oil? In theory, this pre-filter setup should make the paper filter last longer with less of a drop in air flow over time. Surgical gauze is cheap and easy to obtain, and so is the air filter oil.

One benefit of wrapping 10 feet of gauze around a paper or oiled gauze filter is after rotating the filter so that there are no more "fresh" surfaces presented to the main air flow, you could cut off the first two or so layers of surgical gauze for a whole new clean surface.

Your opinions and comments are most welcome. Thank you.

Franko

Reply to
Franko

I'll stick with my trusty Fram filter. there are already too many horses in the ranch as it is.

Reply to
Cheryl and Rob

Reply to
Robert Ball

the foam & oil thing is what a lot of small mower engines use FOR their air filter.. kind of scarey..

Reply to
mac davis

Paper will absorb the oil and decrease it's flow rate. Just replace the $4 filter when it gets dirty.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

$4!!! Mine costs me about $15. The design/location of the air filter box lends itself to easily ingesting leaves, spiders, bugs, etc. and very frequent filter changes. Guess, we've gotta bite the bullet to save the engine...

Reply to
Franko

How often do you have to change the filter?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"