Paper+Oiled Gauze Air Filter

Hello Folks,
I've read much about how oiled surgical gauze type air filters (e.g., K&N, etc.) allow fine black dust (white glove test) into the engine. I've
experienced it firsthand on our 98 Tahoe 6.5TD. I've also experimented with wrapping about 10 feet of surgical gauze around the K&N filter and impregnating it with K&N's air filter oil in hopes that it would decrease the amount of the fine dust that accumulates on the MAF filter screen (and further in) -- inconclusive results.
I've also read just as much about how paper filter is the best for filtering this fine black dust but once the filter starts getting clogged, air flow begins to drop.
Before I try it out myself this weekend, has anyone tried wrapping surgical gauze around a paper filter (maybe with a metal screen cylinder to separate the gauze from the paper), then spray the gauze with filter oil? In theory, this pre-filter setup should make the paper filter last longer with less of a drop in air flow over time. Surgical gauze is cheap and easy to obtain, and so is the air filter oil.
One benefit of wrapping 10 feet of gauze around a paper or oiled gauze filter is after rotating the filter so that there are no more "fresh" surfaces presented to the main air flow, you could cut off the first two or so layers of surgical gauze for a whole new clean surface.
Your opinions and comments are most welcome. Thank you.
Franko
I'll stick with my trusty Fram filter. there are already too many horses in the ranch as it is.

30 years ago several 4X4 such as IH Scout came with a pre-filter foam sleeve that was soaked with motor oil, squeezed out and it wrapped around the outside of the filter element. That was prior to any electronics on the engine so a little oil vapor didn't do any harm but it sure extended the life of filters in dusty off-road conditions, where a filter might last less than a week otherwise. I didn't really notice any big difference in highway use; maybe someone else can help. The best pre-filter is the vortex units that swirl the air so the dirt is separated and falls into a catch bin or out a discharge tube. Any extra restriction on air flow will reduce fuel economy (and power but most people never use the full power of their engine except for racing, or on a dyno test). Modern electronic fuel injection should be able to adjust for the reduced air flow but a carb may run lean. Impact of restrictions is greater at high altitudes than near sea level. A few wraps of gauze might help but don't overdo it. Better to change it when dirty than to have so may layers that you can peel a few off when the outer layers get dirty.
Franko wrote:

the foam & oil thing is what a lot of small mower engines use FOR their air filter.. kind of scarey..

Paper will absorb the oil and decrease it's flow rate. Just replace the $4 filter when it gets dirty.
Doc

$4!!! Mine costs me about $15. The design/location of the air filter box lends itself to easily ingesting leaves, spiders, bugs, etc. and very frequent filter changes. Guess, we've gotta bite the bullet to save the engine...

K&N,
decrease
(and
flow