Replacing wheel stud?

How hard and how long will it take to replace a wheel stud on a 98 chevy

4x4? I had a flat today on the front drivers tire. I went to replace it and found that one of the front studs is stripped. It must of happened when I had the tires rotated last month. Thanks for the help.
Reply to
2Dog

The preferred method is to press it out and press the new one in but some guys use a MFH to beat the old one out and install the new one. I've even heard of some guys using a big "C" clamp but I've never seen it done. At any rate, it's not a difficult job.

Reply to
Rich B

Replacing wheel stud? Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 27, 2003, 12:35am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (2Dog) How hard and how long will it take to replace a wheel stud on a 98 chevy

4x4? I had a flat today on the front drivers tire. I went to replace it and found that one of the front studs is stripped. It must of happened when I had the tires rotated last month. Thanks for the help

ya could take it back...then yell at the people who rotated the tires Or take everything off tire,pads,rotor. Get a BIG hammer and beat it out.....put in the new one get a bunch of washers or a socket . Now put them or it over the stud where the nut goes....Put on the new nut and drive it home.......On some models you may need to loosen the hub and pull it out a bit...just to get enough space to get the new stud in.. Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

Remove the following = tire, caliper, rotor,. big hammer and break/remove the stud. new stud in the hole and using the lug nut and a bunch of washers tighten the lugnut to the point where the new stud matches the other studs.

Reply to
seeray

Beat it out. I prefer my forhead (somepeople use a 3lb sledge so they only have to hit it once or twice) Use a lug nut and some spacers to pull it into the rotor. You'll probably need a 4 foot cheater bar. It's a pain, about a 20minute job (especially on rotors). The shop that rotated your tires should have a tool (kind of like a lug nut) that will suck it in with an impact wrench in about 20 seconds.

-The Lonely Grease Monkey

1985' 305CUI TH700R4 NP203 K5 KJ's successor

"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey