suburban 6.5 turbo diesel frequently stalls while driving

My Suburban 6.5 turbo diesel stalls while driving. This problem has occurred in the past ( around 50 k miles) and has been cured then by renewing the fuel injection pump. Right now , another 25 kmiles down the road it starts happening again. The fuel supply pump has recently been renewed, did not cure the problem. It seems the problem mostly happens after a hot restart, sometimes within seconds, sometimes after half an hour driving or later. Seems to me that it may have something to do with the electronic engine protection system reacting too sensitive. However this does not protect the driver in traffic : power steering quits, power brakes quit

Apparently most cars of this type but not all (there are not so many around here in Western Europe) have the same problem How to solve this proble

-- wim

View this thread:

Send from

wim

the past ( around 50 k miles) and has been cured then by renewing the fuel injection pump. Right now , another 25 kmiles down the road it starts happening again. The fuel supply pump has recently been renewed, did not cure the problem. It seems the problem mostly happens after a hot restart, sometimes within seconds, sometimes after half an hour driving or later. Seems to me that it may have something to do with the electronic engine protection system reacting too sensitive. However this does not protect the driver in traffic : power steering quits, power brakes quit.

here in Western Europe) have the same problem.

Have you recently changed the fuel filter and checked for water in fuel? Diesel fuel tend to have some water in it from time to time that can overwhelm water seperator on truck if it is not regulalry serviced.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Greetings,

Is your Service Engine Soon light coming on when this happens? If it does, have the error codes check in the computer - if it has a code 1216 then you will need a new Fuel Solenoid Driver, a classic trouble spot on this motor. The symptoms you describe are exactly an indication for a failing FSD.

If you are quick enough, you can get away with replacing just the FSD alone, but if not the excessive heat it produces will fry the optical sensor inside the fuel injection pump and you will be stuck with paying for an entirely new pump again. I also recommend a product called an FSD Cooler (or anything similar). This link explains it much better than I can:

This problem doesn't have anything to do with the engine protection system. It is entirely heat related. Your symptoms do not sound like you picked up a bad batch of fuel either, but draining the fuel/wter seperator and changing the fuel filter is always a good (and inexpensive) first step.

Good luck - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I would not say that as a friend with a 05 Dmax that was new to diesel had a simular problem twice and it was water in fuel both times. (he buys the cheapest diesel he can find since it cost more than gas here)

SnoMan

The Duramax and the older 6.5L TD have significantly different fuel systems in that the Duramax uses a common rail and is higher pressure. The requirements for a 2 mincron fuel filter in the Dmax indicate that it is much more sensative to fuel quality than the 6.5's were. I would normally agree with you that he may have picked up a bad batch of fuel, but since it's only a hot restart problem and a problem either a few seconds to a half hour after starting (when the motor is hotter) that makes it less likely. Fuel quality and filter issues tend to be more consistant than that and not so much heat related. The fact that it is related to heat most definitely points toward the FSD, and if his computer is reading a 1216 error code then that would be more proof (although a failing FSD doesn't always set this code).

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Reply to