Synthetic trans change in silverado

I just bought auto-rx for my transmission in my 1999 silverado z-71 with the 5.3 engine. I'm getting a t-tech trans change. I want to use Mobil 1 synthetic in it and I'd like to change the differential fluid and the transfer case fluid all with mobil synthetic.

My questions are how many quarts of mobil 1 do I use in my tranmission? What size filter? Also what fluids do I use in my differential and transfer case?

Sorry for all the questions but I thought I'd try to get it the first time. As you can tell I'm a new to all of this.

Thanks Jon

Reply to
adsfa

you bought a WHAT and are getting a WHAT ?

English, bitte....................

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

My thoughts exactly. I'm assuming that auto-rx is an additive, but WTF is a t-tech trans change?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

wrote:

Reply to
adsfa

snake oil

both of them

start changing fluid and filter every 12-15 k and be done with it

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Hey Gary did you see this part about the Auto RX

Q: Do I need to change the transmission filter? A: Too often the transmission filter is confused in its performance with that of an oil filter. In most cars the filter resembles that of a "bug screen" to catch pieces of large particles or contaminants. After observing many applications of Auto-Rx® using T-Tec to remove the liquefied contaminants we don't believe it is necessary to remove the filter (if your transmission even has one).

Reply to
Steve W.

Don't know if I'd trust that.....

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

'if it has one' ?????

which unit doesn't have one ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

My garden tractor doesn't have one..............then again it doesn't have an oil filter either................he he he he he.

Way back when AT's first hit the scene, did they have filters then?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I really like how they suggest using the same product to clean the trans and the engine. It just must be good stuff, right? The other web site item is a power flush unit that you can use to insure a "complete" fluid change without dropping the pan. Must be a great company, "buy our cleaner and power flush gimmick system and your all set, you don't need to change the filter"

Reply to
Steve W.

"Steve W." wrote

Fluid exchange units actually work quite well. We use one all the time at our shop. Contrary to popular belief, they aren't "backflushing" machines. Just a simple and easy way to exchange all of the fluid through the trans cooler lines.

We still recommend and perform normal transmission services at the recommended intervals. I would prefer that we follow intervals like Gary recommends, but frankly, customers just won't go for it. They read the owners manual and it says that they don't have to do it for 80K kilometers...so if you suggest anything under that, they think you are just attempting to upsell them.

There is one transmission that we encounter that has the transmission filter in such an inaccessible place,that we do not do "pan removal" services on it This is the 4l80 trans in the Cadillacs. The filter is in the side cover and basically requires removing the transmission in order to access it.

We do not do trans fluid exchanges on the Allison transmission, as the machine we have cannot handle the cooler line size, or pressures in that transmission. Plus, it has a very convenient spin on filter like an engine.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"shiden_kai" wrote incorrectly:

Sorry, should read 4T80-E trans in the Cadillac's.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

big sum-bitch, ain't it ?

WTF were they thinking ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

I realize they work OK but I think this outfit is trying to say that ALL you ever need is their unit and their cleaner and your done.

I agree about that damn Caddy, Which Friday before a holiday was it dreamed up anyway... Makes me like the one Mustang a local has, want to do a tune up, jack the engine out to get to the plugs... Smart design, his now has a few extra holes with covers... Just once I'd like to find an engineer who designed this stuff and the bean counter who changed it to save a nickel and lock them both in a room with a baseball bat, The one who comes out alive gets to keep his design..

Anyway: Hope everyone ate a bunch of Turkey/Ham/Venison for the holiday, And tossed a few back just to "wash it down"..

Steve W.

Reply to
Steve W.

"Gary Glaenzer" wrote

It's a monster...I'm always a little bit nervous when I pull one out while doing case halves on the engine. Even worse when one of the tranny jacks has been leaking and tends to go down in 3 inch increments instead of nice and steady.

I guess they believe that it will either not need to be replaced for a long time.....or they expect them to be overhauled soon enough and then the tech will throw a new one in on the overhaul.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Mmmmmmmmm.........Foooood.....

Steve, I do agree with you in almost all of what you had to say, except about the part about locking up the engineer and bean counters.... That is going way too easy on them.

It really ticks me off not having an accessible tranny filter. I mean, you are already circulating tranny fluid to the front of the engine compartment anyways, why not have a spin on filter up there too. The same goes for coolant. Semi's filter their coolant, and at the same time, conditioning the extended life coolant.

Reply to
Chevguy

Gary would you email me.I have been reading your post for some time & would really like your opinion about a Transmission that isnt a chevy,Thanks Randy

Reply to
R. Gladson