Top Posting

Page 1 of 2
What is it about top posting that some people get in a huff about? I don't come across many people that have a problem with it, and I always top post,
and I am not the only one, but there aren't many. To me, its easier to read someone's reply when it on top than to run all the way to the bottom.
Not posted as an attack on anyone, just reminded about it and wanted to ask.
Per "Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net>:

Seems like most people dislike it, so I try not to do it.
Personally, when reading through a thread, I prefer to see it. Reason: too many people quote umpteen lines - or all of - a message and then just put in one or two lines of reply. Top-posting makes whose easier to read bc I don't have to keep scrolling down.
In an ideal world, everybody would snip out just the quotes they're addressing and bottom-post.
But the world isn't ideal and I've got no problem with top posting.
--
PeteCresswell

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:23:21 -0500, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

What I do about that is set my news reader to hide quoted material. That way (for example) when I opened your message, Pete, what I saw at the beginning was:
[quoted text hidden]
...followed by what you wrote. I turn that feature off if the message is unclear or if I otherwise want to see the context. Saves me a lot of time and no end of aggrivation, as I share your opinion of the bad habit of not trimming quotes while replying.
I think most news readers can do this, but of course I haven't tried them all. In Pan, which is what I use, you do this in "View - Hide quoted text", or even easier, use the keyboard shortcut "Q" (for quote). Forte Agent, which I see you use, should have a similar option.
--
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copn, Honduras

Haven't been able to find it in my reader (Agent) yet.... but that's a heckuva good feature and I'm going to keep looking.
Thanks.
--
PeteCresswell

Pete... in Agent, highlight just the part that you want quoted before you hit the "reply" button..
Mac https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/wood_stuff.htm
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> writes:

Sure gets some people's panties in a knot, don't it? :-)

That's what the disagreements are about. The people who complain are upset because they feel that others are making it more difficult, and more time-consuming, for them to read USENET, email lists, &c. Having to scroll past a long discussion for each and every new comment is a royal pain, thus the complaints about "bottom" posting. Entering a news group for the first time today, and seeing a posting that starts "I agree.", with no hint as to *what* the poster is agreeing with, is just as bad, and the reason for complaints about "top" posting.
Back in the old days (I've been using the 'net actively for 20 years), we all agreed to do it the way I do in this message; quoting just enough to establish context. When a newbie did it wrong, someone pointed out the mistake, and that was that. Then, everybody and their grandmother got online, and Microsoft made software that tricked all the newbies into breaking just about every established convention, and now there's no hope of ever having common standards again. That's just something we'll all have to find ways to live with.
Personally, I have so little time available for USENET, and so many groups I'd like to read, that I take the easy way out: when I see a "top" posting where I don't immediately understand the context, or a "bottom" posting where I would have to scroll to find the new text, then I simply move on to the next posting. The same goes for really atrocious formatting or language. Life's too short. :-)
-tih
--
Don't ascribe to stupidity what can be adequately explained by ignorance.

I agree.

:-)
-tih
--
Don't ascribe to stupidity what can be adequately explained by ignorance.

i personnally don`t care about top posting if the poster uses the same date .but but i have mine set so that post are shown in order from the new dates to the oldest, and on this group i`ve been seeing spanky's post bout lifting the front end since he posted it and will for another week cause it was posted for 07/02/2006. i also now that it may have just just a glitch with his pc, cause my sons pc i was using on night and was going to post on diff. group and notice the date was 2099, i would been on everyone ignore list if i'd posted that night from his lol. ok that's my 2 cents. :) pc i love this group and learning lots. thanks spolik "Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

Like this?
Shades (at dot) wrote:

I personally prefer top posting. I haven't bothered to set up a newsreader on Linux, which is what I'm now using at home. I messed with it, but it was very slow and not very intuitive. I like Google Groups because I can log in and check it from anywhere, and it manages to keep track of the threads I'm active in.
But in either case, threads are displayed in a spanning tree format and it's pretty easy for me to figure out who's responding to what. To me, if you can't figure that part out you should learn how, and not bitch.
My one complaint was the lack of quoting that Google does/did. I did a search and figured out how to do it so that I didn't have to cut and paste quotes to respond to.
So this is a response / test post to see how it worked... :-)
We'll see...
~jp
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 09:11:24 -0800, Jon R. Pickens wrote:

Glad to meet a fellow penguinhead here, Jon. I found Pan to be almost brainless to set up and use. Most distros come with Pan on their install disks. A newer newsreader for Linux is Thunderbird, which has more eye candy and some people find more intuitive, but Pan is lighter and faster. Again, Thunderbird is probably on your install disks.
The bergeeks use leafnode for its speed and power, but intuitive it ain't.
--
Warren Post
mdk 10.0 Official / Pan 0.14.2.91
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:05:00 -0800, Jon R. Pickens wrote:

More or less how I started. I opened our town's first cybercaf in 2000 and got tired of apologizing to customers for unstable workstations and doing clean installs all the time. I tried Linux, made it look and feel like Windows so that the customers would feel at home, and had no more problems. Just like that, easy.

If we're talking about the same book, yes, it's good. When you outgrow it, O'Reilly's _Linux in a Nutshell_ is an excellent reference. And the very best book I know is available as a free download from http://home.shisas.co.za/rute /. It starts at zero and works up to guru level in a very readable style.

You must have a newer version of Evolution than I do. I have 1.4.6 and it doesn't do Usenet. I agree, it is awfully large and slow, at least on my ancient hardware. I use it out of inertia, but I am sure that there are better email clients out there. Sylpheed is supposed to be much lighter even than Thunderbird for email, which one of these days I ought to try.
--
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copn, Honduras
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:15:00 -0600, Warren Post wrote:

Sorry, the URL has changed. Strike the above and make it:
http://rute.2038bug.com /
You can read it online there, or download it as HTML or PDF.
--
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copn, Honduras

Which distro to you prefer?
--
PeteCresswell

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:06:34 -0500, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I started with Mandrake (now called Mandriva, www.mandrivalinux.com) in 2001 and liked it so much that I have had no reason to change or even try anything else. There are other good distros out there (www.distrowatch.com will give more detail than you ever wanted) but I just couln't be happier with Mandriva. Their latest release, Mandriva 2006, is said to be the easiest and most trouble free one yet, and a free download edition is available.
I'm running Mandrake 10.0, which is pretty old. Everyone says I ought to upgrade, but my attitude is, if it works great, why change?
--
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copn, Honduras
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:17:47 -0600, "Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote:

Some folks get elitist about it.. they say that ______ (insert top or bottom) posting is the correct way...
I find that it really depends on the thread and how the other folks reply... if some top post and others bottom, it's kind of hard to follow.. I will usually top post a short reply to a long post... so folks can see a one line answer without having to scroll down to the bottom of the original post..
IMHO, there is no right or wrong way...
Mac https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/wood_stuff.htm