Re: Whats "Top posting"

A: Because you read the answer before the question. Q: Why's it so annoying A: The most annonying thing on Usenet. Q: What's top posting?

Reply to
AndyC the WB

Top posting works if you could guarantee that everybody read the whole thread from top to bottom. However if they did that you wouldn't need to include any of the previous post anyway.

Editing out just the bit you want to reply to and then putting your contribution straight after it works for simple minded old men like me. A quick refresh then into the good stuff.

Some people get really angsty about posting styles but if you don't make it clear what your saying most people just hit 'Next post' and ignore you. However beware the apostrophe police.... 8-)

This group is actually quite sane....

HTH nigelH Still looking for a P38 EAS ECU to rebuild

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

(snip)

Compared to some.......

JD

Reply to
JD

Top posting grew in the days when everyone was on a dial up. A lot of people will go on and on and on that top posters are wrong and that it breaches netiqette. I top post and always will. It annoys the heck out of me when bottom posters don't snip a mesage that they reply to and I have to trawl through reams of stuff I have already read. I have downloaded stuff in the past where a bottom poster copies every single line that averybody in a thread has written just to post a "?" or a "!".

Reply to
Signman

Well, mostly quite sane ;)

Some news clients (like mine. Outlook) don't even give the option to bottom post, making it require a positive effort each time.

So I top post unless everyone else in the thread is bottom posting, which is not too often. But I'd bottom post if it'd let me set the option as it seems a more logical thing to do. After appropriate snipping to avoid unnecessary duplication & download time. I'm STILL on dial up, without the option of broadband in this part of Australia.

Karen

(snip)

Compared to some.......

JD

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Some of us are still on dial up, me for example, but the convention has nothing to do with dailup anyway.

Then this could be construed as ignorance, What you should be aware of is that your particular message (here for example) does not retain any of the original post so someone coming into the thread late would not see the OP's post if their news client had already expired it.

Plus some news clients follow news/mail threads in a colour priority called colour coordination, like mine for example.

Some news clients read or *speak* the message for you using this colour coordination, mine does for example.

It can be very difficult to follow threads when posters do not follow convention because it upsets the whole thread which is a pity when your news client tries to follow the correct convention, like mine does.

Snipping the whole message can be as bad as adding one comment to the end of a message.

You can always intersperse your text, like I and others do for example.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

You need OE Quotefix that fixes this and several other bizzairre things that Outlook Express does when used as a news client. It's downloadable from

It's only a small download so isn't a hassle on dialup either.

Reply to
EMB

I prefer top posting.

Ron

Reply to
p38arover

You can usually pick them up s/h for about fifty quid. Try Equicar.

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB

Nope, top posting grew because people started using broken Microsoft email software to read news and that top-posts by default.

It's easy to fix but most people are seemingly too inconsiderate, too lazy or too dim to bother.

Me to: but one keystroke in this newsreader will hide all the included text.

If the only tool you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

-- Pete

Reply to
Pete Young

Thanks. nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

However, you're not using 'Outlook', rather 'Outlook Express' a different beast enirely. I use it and Quotefix, which doesn't fix the quotes but does manage to bottom post. Can't recall exactly where to get quotefix, but I expect Google will be able to find it.

Reply to
GbH

Like I said, But mine seems now to prefer top posting!

Reply to
GbH

I'm sorry but I just do not agree with your comment here.

Reply to
Signman

If you're into sign making then even you must follow guidelines that are absolutely necessary to form, construct, make or paint the letters with reference to kerning and spacing etc. If you failed to follow these simple but important rules you would not be able to sell a sign as the lettering would be a complete unreadable mess,

Same applies here IMO.

Steve.

[snip]
Reply to
Stephen Hull

I would fight to defend your opinion, however it is not mine. Be happy, drive a land rover :-)

Reply to
Signman

My retrospective apologies for top-posting on previous threads. I had no idea it mattered! Actually I had no idea what it meant until reading this topic!

Andy Fox

110 V8
Reply to
Andy Fox

Why apologise,It doesn't matter. It's not like you'll get three points on your licence :-)

Reply to
Signman

so Signman was, like...

Signman, you're getting faintly annoying. Are you being an arse on purpose?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

WHAT? I need a licence to post on this newsgroup? Can things get any more complicated? You'll be telling me I need a licence to drive my Landie next!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Fox