Top Posting

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:17:47 -0600, Shades wrote:

Bottom posting places the texts in chronological order. Readers can see, for example, the question and then the answer it elicited -- as in this message. It is no big deal if there is only one question and only one answer (again like this message), but once a thread grows and you start getting replies to replies to replies, then bottom posting makes things much easier to understand and follow the discussion.
Top posting, at best, makes the reader play Jeopardy: first you get the answer, then the question. More often, you get an answer followed by a gadzillion previous unsnipped replies and you don't know just what the answer was in reply to. I've seen flame wars start because (methinks) top posting and lack of snipping caused confusion over who was replying what in reply to whom.
Personally, I try to bottom post and trim previously quoted material to just that needed to understand my reply (again, like I am doing in this message). But I also try to not be an annoying zealot about it.
--
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copn, Honduras

*g*
Mac https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/wood_stuff.htm
I 'top post' almost all the time... it's easier to read IMO, and is often done by people as a courtesy. In a long thread, it can help make points much quicker.
GC

More often it is done because people are too lazy to trim and quote.
Dave

Mac https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/wood_stuff.htm
d o n ' t
g i t