transmission ??

I have been having the p1870 code(lucky me)but was told by the gmc dealer that the valve body was in bad shape trash sludge and thinks like that was
in there and causing it to go into hard shifts,and that they could repair it but couldn't guaranty the repair.They recommended to just drive it till it wouldn't drive no more and not to rebuild it just buy new one when the time comes. I called around to some trans shop and so far around a $250 fix and have it flushed out and hopefully last until next income tax season. The truck is a 99 gmc suburban 111000 miles the trans is a 4l60e.
would the valve body repair be worth doing? I would like a better Transmission than this one when the time comes, and knowing my luck it's going to be very soon. What are your suggestions for a new transmission, and if a more heaver duty trans is put in should I up grade the coolers are any thing else?
This is a common problem with these transmissions and not not caused by poor trans fluid condition, the aluminum VB wears at the tcc valve bore, this can be sleeved and permanently repaired. Of course if the trans is worn in some way beside the valve body issue ,then this another thing. P1870 is slippage, as a rule, in the tcc application, this causes the pcm to go to high line press. to try and compensate, not something that you can just keep on driving with.

-
"Shep" wrote:

Excause me but dirty oil does accelerate the wear in the bore duh... I have seen lots of these trannies go very long distances that have had regular fluid changes. People mistaking believe that a tranny does not need regualr servicing and nothing can be further from the truth especaily in a heavy RV.
"kdm" wrote: > I have been having the p1870 code(lucky me)but was told by the > gmc dealer > that the valve body was in bad shape trash sludge and thinks > like that was > in there and causing it to go into hard shifts,and that they > could repair it > but couldn't guaranty the repair.They recommended to just > drive it till it > wouldn't drive no more and not to rebuild it just buy new one > when the time > comes. I called around to some trans shop and so far around > a $250 fix and > have it flushed out and hopefully last until next income tax > season. The > truck is a 99 gmc suburban 111000 miles the trans is a 4l60e. > > would the valve body repair be worth doing? > I would like a better Transmission than this one when the time > comes, and > knowing my luck it's going to be very soon. > What are your suggestions for a new transmission, and if a > more heaver duty > trans is put in should I up grade the coolers are any thing > else?
Has this tranny been regularly serviced? This is a unsual diagnoisis and questionable. For starter change fiuld and filter yourself and freshen things up a bit and check condition of inside of tranny pan for dirt and sludge and get a better picture of what is going on. I have a 89 burb with 172K on it 700R4 (predecessor to 4L60E) and it has been trouble free and still works well but it has had regualr servicing and fluid changes by me and has seen 5 or so of these servicing in its life. Nothing really wrong with a 700R4 or a 4L60E in relatively stock configurations and if they are properly serviced and cooled they will give a very long life.
Thanks for the response .When I got the truck used it had 72k miles on it. I changed fluid and filter at 80k and again at 100k. both times when I done it the only thing I saw was some gray sludge stuff in the pan just about the size of a nickel the best I can remember.I talked to a trans shop and they tould me that replacing the valve will not fix the problem,so right now I thinking driving it like it is and hope and pray it makes it to next april and then have the hole thing rebuilt.