Windshield Scratches

I purchased a new 2004 Sierra SLT that now has 33000 miles on it. First I noticed a finely etched curved scratch on the driver's side maybe a year ago. I had the dealer change out the blades to new Delco blades. Now, I've noticed a dual track of scratches about 1/2 inch apart in the blade path on the passenger side. These catch the sun and are causing problems with seeing on bright days, even though they are fine scratches. Is there a known problem with the quality of factory glass or factory blades? Would appreciate any ideas since I'm about out of warranty.

Reply to
Ann Meffert

In most cases your insurance company will pay for the windshield replacement without question. Call them and ask what to do. It is cheaper for them to replace it than to pay damages due to the distraction. TPBeach

Reply to
TPBeach

Reply to
Ann Meffert

I have not heard of a windshield replacement causing a leak since the

50's. Most companies are very good, reputable and many will come to you with the windshield to replace it at your location once the insurance company approves it. I cannot imagine anything scratching the windshield in a arc short of the wiper blade holder itself. Did someone run the wipers without a blade in place? Do you need new blades? TPBeach
Reply to
TPBeach

Ann,

It is not bad glass or defective wipers. It's called dirt and sand. Any of it can scratch the glass. NO warranty would ever cover it. The only way to stop it is to not use the wipers unless you make sure the glass is clean first. It gets onto the windshield and settles, Then when it gets drug around it scratches the glass. Just a fact of life. Not much can be done unless you polish out the scratches in the glass or replace it.

Steve W.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yeah but GM insists on using the black adhesive to seal their windshields.

I needed a new windshield on my '94 Burb and what a pain. First the windshield shop used some wire like thing to cut the adhesive out and scratched the dickens out of the roof edge. The the windshield is alligned by setting a serrated tab over a pin on the bottom edge of the frame. They windshield shop had the pin one serration off so the window had more black on one side than the other. Also the integrated windseal was too tight against the pax door and too loose on the driver side so I made them replace it again. This was a major brand shop used by my insurance company but I'll never use them again.

The rubber gasket in my VW is so much easier to replace. I was able to replace a windshield by myself with a piece of nylon rope and a spoonful of dishsoap. Detroit could learn a few things from the Germans.

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Do you know if a good windshield shop has the tools and inclination to polish the scratches out? If you tried it yourself, what would you use?

Reply to
Ann Meffert

Yeah, I hear you, but actually the sand will damage your paint long before it scratches your windshield if you use washer fluid before you turn on your wipers. I live in Arizona, on a two mile dirt road (sand) and had to have a windshield replaced on a 2006 Silverado because I got behind a gravel truck on the highway outside of Phoenix. The guy came to my home and was done in an hour. Ditto with a 96 Accord about 7 years ago. We also have to remember to replace wiper blades because the heat and car washes damage the blades before we ever get to use them. Cannot imagine why so many people are bent on replacing their own windshields. If a glass shop damaged my car I would certainly not go back there unless it was to have them repair the damage. Once again, most insurance companies will replace your windshield without a deductable, no questions asked, if you call them and report the problem. I doubt if it counts against your insurance either. Perhaps that is only in Arizona but I don't think so. TPBeach

Reply to
TPBeach

Yes it could be polished out, BUT it will cost you as much to polish as it would to replace the glass. Last glass I replaced was about 200.00 for everything. I would seriously replace the glass due to polishing usually leaving the glass wavy.

Reply to
Steve W.

Per Steve W.:

New or junkyard glass?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

New glass. I won't bother with used unless I pull it and inspect it VERY close. Even then I usually sand the edges some to break the corners.

Reply to
Steve W.

A good glass shop can fix this. I would not replace the glass unless the scratches are very deep. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to
Ann Meffert

A bad seal? Not very likely if a windshield is Professionally Replaced. On Older Cars with vynal tops, the roofs rust out right above the windshield flange. Then when you replace the windshield, the flange bends, letting more water in thru the rusted roof. Since were not talking about a 71 to 76 Full Size GM car, I doubt you will ever have that problem. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig