1999 CL 2.3 (CHECK ) LIGHT ON

The orange check light came on after refueling and stayed on. I tighten the gas cap as the manual said. If it's not the cap what else can I check? The book says it takes 3 trips to reset??? Thanks for any help Jim

Reply to
JM

It can be a lot of things, but since it came on after refueling it is probably either saying the gas cap was loose (it seems to take forever to get over being mad about that) or maybe the fuel you got is causing poor running. I'd think you'd notice that.

In many areas major auto parts chains will read the codes and try to reset them for free, in hopes of getting your business. If you don't have any locally - Silicon Valley in particular doesn't seem to participate - you have two attractive paths. You can buy a code reader of your own ($100-$200 US) or you can wait a week or so to see if the light goes out.

The "check engine" light never means something catastrophic is happening. It is there to warn of emissions-related failures, and many mfrs (including Acura) piggyback other events onto it. If the car seems to drive okay you are completely safe driving it around town. If the fuel economy is not drastically worse than you are used to, you are also safe driving it on the freeway.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"JM" wrote in news:zK49h.507$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

The MIL can illuminate for any of over a hundred reasons. Thank your federal EPA for it.

You MUST get the "code" read. There is an alphanumeric code behind that light that tells why it came on. (e.g.: P0301, P1457, etc.

AutoZone and PartSource will read the code for free. Report it back here.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Thanks mike!

Reply to