CD player dying?

'98 INtegra GS with in-dash factory CD player. This unit has always been a bit flaky with homemade CDs - some it won't play at all, and others it plays the first half but not the later tracks.
But it just started rejecting pretty much all my CDs - including the factory pressed jobs.
I've tried a cleaner disc, which helped for a bit - but it's worse now thatn ever.
Do these things just die?