heat gauge

i got a 90 integra and when the rmp goes over 3000 rpm my heat gauge gose all the way to cold then when i let of the gas it gose back to normal...what could it be??????

Reply to
ted5

"ted5" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Lower rad hose collapsing, probably. They're aftermarket, or old and mushy.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns97D9E2195FFEAtegger@207.14.116.130:

I'd replace the thermostat at the same time.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

i changed the lower rad hose and the thermostat and the rad fliud...chould the water pump be going??????

Reply to
ted5

"ted5" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

You're saying the temperature gauge *still* starts to read TOO COLD when you rev the motor, but shows normal when you let off the gas?

How long does the engine have to be over 3,000 rpm before the temp gauge starts to show cold? And how long *under* 3K before it starts to read normal?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

i changed the lower rad hose and the thermostat and the rad fliud...chould the water pump be going?????? ted let me ask did you use an Acura O.E. thermostat or aftermarket one?

Reply to
johnin

The usual reason for collapsed hoses is a bad radiator cap - it doesn't let the coolant back in when the engine cools. Diagnosis of that part is easy enough; just look at the lower radiator hose when the engine is cool. Of course, collapse is still possible if the hose is no good. That is pretty obvious when you squeeze the hose when cool - it will be very soft.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

johnin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.carstalk.net:

Use an Acura TS. It's worth it,you will be certain you get the right temp TS,and it will be a fail-open,not a fail-closed type.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

i changed the lower rad hose and it dosent do it anymore only when the rmp is close to redline but it only gose down alittle bit

Reply to
ted5

"ted5" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Aftermarket hose? OEMs don't do that.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

i got it all chaged at a shop so i dont know

Reply to
ted5