Q. Acura vs. Toyota - Parts & Reliabity?

Page 2 of 2
Elle wrote:

no, no, noooooooo! for gods sake, no!
at least check out the scion xA and xB. more useable room, more features, and its got real 15" wheels on it. same platform and drivetrain, too.
the echo is just plain dorky and gangly looking.
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:32:35 -0700, SoCalMike wrote:

I hate Toyota. Please don't buy their crap.
--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me
than a frontal lobotomy.

I think we've been over this before. I'm pretty sure it was the Echo's price and I think better fuel mileage that still makes me lean its way. Or I can't get a Scion where I live easily? Can't remember.
Scion xA 32/37 mpg xB 31/34
Echo 35/42
Anyway, I'm aiming for around four more years on my Civic. It's doing pretty well now that I have it out West, away from those northern winters and all that road salt. As I've said many a time now.
By the time you're ready to get a new car, the Honda Jazz will be out and I bet it will get better milleage than the Echo with nicer features.
wrote

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't heard of this, so I googled. I see it's currently a 1.4 liter engine. That's a good start, AFAIC. And 83 hp! Ha ha ha... um, but if it gets over 40 mpg, fine. :-)
Dunno whether it's available anywhere in the U.S. yet, like you imply. The hits I got seemed to be from Japanese and UK oriented sites, in general.

Nightdude wrote:

from what ive read. its supposed to be out this september. or at least introduced this fall, maybe for a spring '06 release. i rememer researching the EU model, and its got some trick back seats that fold flat. right in time for the current gas crunch, too. i bet it sells well. so basically, good luck getting one at a sane price.
might make dealers more willing to deal on echos, though.
Oh thank you mike; that's way MORE than enough to convince me not to even think about attempting it myself! I've changed belts in other devices (like washing machines) and thought "Hey, how hard can it be to change a belt....".
snipped-for-privacy@posyrorer.mailshell.com wrote in

Not that hard. You just have to be very detail-oriented and do lots of reading first. You can start here: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#crankbolt http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#beltmark
and for a pictorial howto, http://timingbelt.soben.com /
Also an excellent idea is to buy the Helm manual and study the procedures given there. Helm really is the very best. www.helminc.com
Personally, I used a 250lb electric impact wrench rented for $10/day from an industrial supply place. 30 seconds of back-and-forth and the bolt buzzed right off. I was surprised it was so easy; not all of them are.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ