Honda Accord vs Acura TSX

My friend is looking at getting a TSX...

Is it me or they just practically the same looking cars?

Is it supose to be a luxry Accord?

Reply to
GoMavs

"GoMavs" wrote in news:Myywi.884$5Q5.283@trnddc05:

The TSX is based on the European Accord. The American Accord is a different (larger) vehicle, but shares roots with the European Accord.

Acura is to Honda what Lexus is to Toyota. The upscale models share platforms and parts with the lower-scale models.

Reply to
Tegger

Not all Lexus models are based on Toyota models, and same for Acura.

But the Lexus ES350 is definitely based on the Camry, and the Acura TL line is definitely based on the Camry. The TSX has a few more differences than the TL. Infiniti has a model based on the Maxima.

Reply to
Mark A

RL Large Luxury sedan, AWD TL Midsized Luxury sedan, FWD - Luxury Accord TSX Compact Sport Luxury Sedan, FWD

Lexus and Infiniti use RWD like Mercedes and BMWs. Which many says RWD handles and rides better than a FWD.

Reply to
EdV

The Lexus ES350, like its sister car the Toyota Camry, is FWD. Other Lexus cars that are not based on a Toyota are RWD or AWD.

The reason that RWD handles better is that the weight distribution is closer to the ideal 50-50 front to rear weight distribution, whereas FWD is usually more like 60% front and 40% rear. FWD has the advantage of more interior space for a given size of vehicle (no long driveshaft through the middle), lower overall weight (no long driveshaft), better fuel economy, and better traction in snow.

Luxury RWD cars have sophisticated (and expensive) traction control (or AWD), bigger engines, and a bigger chassis, to make up for these deficiencies. All of these things cost more money, but luxury car buyers can afford them.

Reply to
Mark A

Do you mean Accord?

Reply to
Ray O

I agree with the fuel economy and interior space. I dont know yet about snow. In my opinion, if FWD is better, then F1 and Nascar would be using FWD cars.

Reply to
EdV

Then your opinion needs to be refined.

Is a hammer better than a screwdriver?

F1 and Nascar use RWD cars for a dedicated purpose.

Do you drive under the same conditions as F1 and Nascar? No? Then why would you assume that what they do (hammer) is better than what the Honda Accord does (screwdriver)?

Different conditions, different circumstances, different cars.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Any time you have more weight on top of the drive wheels, you get better traction in snow, regardless of whether it is RWD or FWD. That is why people with RWD vehicles in the north weight down their trunk in the winter time.

I pretty clearly said that RWD provides better handling because they are usually better able to achieve the ideal 50-50 weight distribution than with FWD.

However, RWD that only applies to NASCAR. Modern F1 vehicles are mid-engine (almost rear engine) designs (the engine is behind the driver and not on top of the front wheels). I am really surprised that you apparently did not know about that. NASCAR never races when it rains, while F1 will usually not stop for rain (but they do run different tires if it will likely rain).

Reply to
Mark A

The dedicated purpose of speed, and handling? most buyers who test drive cars consider them too. Of course fuel efficiency and interior space is not on the top of the list for F1 and Nascar. Whether or not FWD is best for daily commute is not my point rather, a RWD will have better performance over a FWD car, and if given the same price I would choose the RWD**. Performance cars have always been RWD. base model price except camry xle

Acura TSX 205HP $28,190 I4 Camry XLE 268HP $28,120 V6

Lexus IS250 204HP $30,255 I4 Infiniti G35 306HP $31,450 V6 (midsized)

2008 C300 228HP $31,975 V6 BMW 328 230HP $32,200 I6

Mark A, I just want to know why FWD is better in snow. I am an amateur in winter driving.

(**Except the Chrysler 300)

Reply to
EdV

I answered that in another post. Because FWD cars are front heavy, and when you have extra weight on the drive wheels, you get better traction in snow. Rear or mid engine cars with RWD also get better traction because the weight is over the drive wheels.

Reply to
Mark A

Would it be a waste of money if I just buy 2 snow tires for my front and keep the same wheels in the rear?

Reply to
EdV

Many people just buy two snow tires for use on the drive wheels. I did that in 1982. The only problem is that having different tires on front and rear will reduce high speed handling ability of your vehicle, so be careful if you do that.

Reply to
Mark A