A4: Identifying sport packages?

I bought this 99 A4 2.8L Quattro used--83K miles. I'm trying to determine which sport packages I have on this car.

I have the sport steering wheel, and the sport seats--as best as I can tell by comparing with seat photos from other owners on the web.

Suspension: I have the 7 spoke, 17" wheels, red shocks and blue springs, presumably original items. The ride feel suggests the sport suspension package, but I've gotten conflicting info on this. Bumps are clearly transmitted, but there is some "luxury" mush and roll in corners. Only A4 I've driven.

I've done extensive googling and talked to several dealers and I'll be damned If I can make a solid determination.

Audi novice, obviously. Quite a switch from Saabs. Dave

Reply to
Interious

Hi Dave,

When I bought my 2000 A4 1.8T, it had the sport package. Here is what that included:

Sport steering wheel Sport seats

16" ten spoke wheels (17s were not stock on A4s...and 16s were stock on all 2.8s and only 1.8Ts with the sport package, otherwise they were 15s) Sport suspension

The best way to tell sport from standard suspensions on similar model year A4s is to compare the wheel well gap. A 2000 with sport suspension will have a smaller gap than the standard suspension (about

2cm if I recall correctly...but don't quote me on that). IOW, the sport suspension will be a smidge lower. HTH.

Elroy

2000 S4
Reply to
Elroy the Seedy Impaler

I goofed. I've got 16" wheels and the gap is about 2". Must not be the sport suspension. I made the mistake of measuring the wheel diameter instead of looking at the tire size. duh

Told you I am I novice!

Thanks Elroy

Reply to
Interious

All options should be possible to deduct from the sticker inside your manual (and maybe some help from a dealer), OR your dealer should be able to look it up if you give the VIN.

Reply to
Rune Skigelstrand

Hi Dave,

Actually, you probably have the sport suspension. My post wasn't very clear. I needed to say that the gap on the sport suspension is about

2cm smaller than the gap on the standard suspension. If you can find another 99 A4, park next to it and eyeball the wheel well gaps. If you have a 1.8T with stock 16" wheels and other sport goodies, then most likely you have the sport suspension too.

HTH!!

Elroy

2000 S4
Reply to
Elroy the Seedy Impaler

Actually, the ten spoke wheels shown on the first link only came with the Sport package on the B5 platform A4s in the model years 2000 and after...at least in the US.

Elroy

2000 S4
Reply to
Elroy the Seedy Impaler

The problem here is, most of the options the Sports Package adds/added to the A4 were/are avaliable on their own. The rims are/were avaliable through Audi's "Collection and Accesories" catalog, so are stainless steel exhuast tips & entire exhuast system upgrades, aerodynamic "body" kits, shift knobs, and Eibach performance/lowering springs that're actually *better* than what Audi offers in the normal sport pack. The Sport Steering wheel and seats can be had as options too if I remember correctly, the dealer just has to request the car that way from Audi. There's a chance that the previous owner of your A4 ordered an A4 with the sport seats and steering wheel, than added his own favorite 17" rims and Eibach springs from the catalog. Beyond that, I know that up untill

98', even sport pack equipped A4s were getting 16" rims. Check to see when Audi started offering 17" rims as part of the sport pack.
Reply to
Steve Grauman

Yeah the owner has replaced them, but it def isnt a sport model

Ron

Reply to
Ron

well, its acctually quite simple-red shocks, blue springs=sport suspension, I ve had same problem.

Reply to
rogers

Reply to
rogers