A4 oil temperature question

Hi,

I have a 2000 A4 1.8T with 164,000 km's on it. Until recently my oil temperature gauge would go up to either 80C or 100C depending on the season and sit there. Now the gauge will start climbing when I accelerate to 120C. When I am in stop and go traffic it will sometimes will go up to 160C and then while I am still in stop and go traffic drop back down to 100C? The radiator temperature never changes from the dead centre 90C. The oil temperature climbs to 80C when I start driving for a bit and the excessive temperature starts after about 10 minutes of driving. I have checked my oil level and it is fine, any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
Tom Porter

If your oil level is really OK then the oil temp sender would be the first port of call. Also check to make sure the fins on the oil cooler are not clogged up with crap - but the sender would be the most likely culprit.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller