A4 tyres

Page 1 of 3
I have a 2001 A4 1.9TDi (the 130 engine), currently fitted with 205/55 tyres. According to my calculations, I should be able to fit 225/50 tyres on the 16" alloys without affecting the circumference - I probably
have around 5,000 miles left on the existing tyres.
So - will the standard 16" alloy rims take a 225/50 profile, or would this be too wide for the rim.
If they won't fit then I'll just replace them with a set of ContiSport 205/55s instead (currently Conti Premiums).
--
Glenn Richards Tel: (01453) 845735
Squirrel Solutions http://www.squirrelsolutions.co.uk /

There are other things one must worry about besides fitting the rims. Such as the tyres not touching other components when turning the wheels to the limit.

I've had the Conti Sports on an A4 as it was delivered, and I was forced to throw them away. Absolutely the worst tyres on wet roads (I believe they even come with a disclaimer to that effect, at least in the US). Unless you can turn off rain in England, you should probably consider a tyre with mode balanced performance in all kinds of weather.
dk
Dan Koren wrote:

I recently was driving a courtesy car, an A4 fitted with 235/45R17s. The wheel arches etc were exactly the same as on my A4, so I shouldn't think that would be a problem.

Seriously? I had a set of Conti Sport 185/50R14s on a previous car (a Ford Fiesta) and they handled brilliantly. I also know someone who had a Mercedes C220 with a set of Conti Sport 205/55R16s, which handled fine regardless of whether the road was wet or dry.
Obviously what's good for one isn't for someone else, but I always found Conti Sports to be very good. Anyone else want to comment?
--
Glenn Richards Tel: (01453) 845735
Squirrel Solutions http://www.squirrelsolutions.co.uk /

The Conti's are fine on *DRY* roads.
On wet pavement, it's another story altogether. Check the test results and the reviews at www.tirerack.com if you don't trust my summary. They came out at the bottom of the pile.
dk
Dan Koren wrote:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/max_perf_summer.jsp
Comes out in 2nd place behind the Pirellis. As I said in an earlier posting, I've been in several cars, both as driver and passenger, with Conti Sports, and always found them very good in both dry and wet conditions.
Also I don't tend to drive on pavements - you tend to risk knocking down pedestrians if you do that!
Anyway, back to the original question. Can I get 225/50 tyres on the A4's standard 16" rims, which currently have 205/55s?
--
Glenn Richards Tel: (01453) 845735
Squirrel Solutions http://www.squirrelsolutions.co.uk /

Changing the profile of the Tyre will not change the width of it, so you could put 205/40/16's on if you could find them, but it will change your rolling diameter, so your speedo will be out.
The 55 part of the tyre is the thickness of the sidewall, the 205 part of the tyre is the width, but the wheel itself must be wider in "J" terms to take wider tyres.
Personally if you were going to change the sidewall profile I would look at upgrading the wheel size, 16" is the standard size for Audi's so I would pop some 17/18" rims on with some 40's
hth
Ronny
Ronny wrote:

I currently have 205/55s, I want to put 225/50s on. The sidewall height (and hence the rolling diameter) on 225/50s is the same as on 205/55s, according to a useful website I found that lets you compare things like this.
What I want to know is if the 16" rim will take a 225 width tyre.

Yes - the second number is the ratio of sidewall to width.

I had a courtesy car a couple of weeks back while mine was having a new clutch put in... it had 235/45s on 17" rims. Handled like it was on rails, but the thinner sidewall meant you could feel every bump in the road. Plus I do like the standard 16" alloys, just want something a bit wider so the back end doesn't flick out when I go powering round a corner!
--
Glenn Richards Tel: (01453) 845735
Squirrel Solutions http://www.squirrelsolutions.co.uk /

16" wheels on the Audi may have a "J" of say 7 or 7.5 it all depends on the width of the wheel itself, I would say 225's will go on a 16" rim, but its impossible to tell.
if the wheel is too narrow ie 6.5/7J what happens is the sidewall of tyre hangs over the edge of the rim a bit like a tyre which has sidewall protectors.
Ronny

the
I mean Rim protectors not sidewall :)

If the rims are 7.5" wide, the fit is marginal for 225 tyres, and the combination is definitely not recommended. If you want 225/50 tyres, you should put them on rims that are at least 8" wide.

Bingo!
That would require the tyres to be overinflated just to prevent them from galling off the rims.
dk

^^^^^^^ falling---------------------|||||||
dk
"Dan Koren" wrote

Nah... on the B5 A4, people have successfully mounted 225/50/16 tires on the OEM 16x7 rims. If you look at the specs provided by most tire manufacturers, 7" wide rim is still allowed for that particular tire size. Of course it doesn't look too pretty (kind of bloated), but it works OK.
Cheers,
Pete

It is indeed "allowed" but definitely not recommended.
The issue is not whether the tyres can be mounted at all, but rather will they perform as designed. There is no point in mounting 225/50 tires on 7.5", since the performance benefits will not materialize. What is the point of spending so much money, time and effort for a marginal fit?
dk

45 profile with 17", 40 profile with 18".
However, the ride is going to be very harsh with the 45's, and extremely harsh with the 40's, for only a minimal gain in handling.
dk

*ON* *DRY* *ROADS* only. They are specifically classified as *SUMMER* tyres.
Check this: http://tinyurl.com/3ud6s .
The Conti Sports ranked 12th out of 19th. Last year the list was only 13 entries long, and they were 2nd from the bottom.
Also here: http://tinyurl.com/5h335 they ranked 37th out of 40!!!

Did anyone pee on them? ;-)

In the US "pavement" is used differently than in the UK. It is used generically for any kind of road surface, rather than just cobblestones.

It depends on the width of your rims. If you have 8" or 8.5" rims, yes. If you have 7.5" rims, I wouldn't recommend it. If you habe 7" rims, it is an absolute no-no.
dk
Dan Koren wrote:

Nope!
Even been down my road in snow as a passenger in a Mercedes C220 fitted with Conti Sports. Only time the traction warning came on was when we pulled out from the bottom of the road after stopping. The roads had been gritted after that point, so no problem.

Ah, fair enough. Over here it's what I think you refer to as a "sidewalk"... the road surface being either tarmac ("black top" I believe you call that) or concrete ("white top"?). And riding a push-bike on the pavement is highly illegal...

Without taking the tyres off the rims I couldn't really say. I've spoken to my local tyre fitter this morning though and they've said they keep both profiles in stock, and they'll quite happily check once they've taken the old tyre off the rim.
Is there an accurate way of measuring the rim width while the tyre is still on, and the wheel still fitted to the car?
--
Glenn Richards Tel: (01453) 845735
Squirrel Solutions http://www.squirrelsolutions.co.uk /

You don't need to!
The rim size and width are usually engraved on the rim ;-)
dk
Dan Koren wrote:

Whereabouts on the rim would I find this? (The car is currently covered in snow, so I'll have to check it later...)
--
Glenn Richards Tel: (01453) 845735
Squirrel Solutions http://www.squirrelsolutions.co.uk /
then poke holes in top. Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown.
Sudden Infant Death Soup
SIDS: delicious in winter, comparable to old fashioned Beef and Vegetable Soup. Its free, you can sell the crib, baby clothes, toys, stroller... and so easy to procure if such a lucky find is at hand (just pick him up from the crib and he?s good to go)!
SIDS victim, cleaned cup cooking oil Carrots onions broccoli whole cabbage fresh green beans potato turnip celery tomato stick butter 1 cup cooked pasta (macaroni, shells, etc.)
Remove as much meat as possible, cube, and brown in hot oil. Add a little water, season, then add the carcass. Simmer for half an hour keeping the stock thick. Remove the carcass and add the vegetables slowly to the stock, so that it remains boiling the whole time. Cover the pot and simmer till vegetables are tender (2 hours approximately). Continue seasoning to taste. Before serving, add butter and pasta, serve piping with hot bread and butter.
Offspring Rolls
Similar to Vietnamese style fried rolls, they have lots of meat (of course this can consist of chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp). Who can resist this classic appetizer; or light lunch served with a fresh salad? Versatility is probably this recipe?s greatest virtue, as one can use the best part of a prime, rare, yearling, or the morticians occasional horror: a small miracle stopped short by a drunk driver, or the innocent victim of a drive-by shooting...
2 cups finely chopped very young human flesh 1 cup shredded cabbage 1 cup bean sprouts 5 sprigs green onion, finely chopped 5 cloves

brown.
Soup.
easy to

and