audi a4 1.9tdi 1997 knocking

My Audi a4 1.9tdi has a knocking coming from the front end, having checked all the control arm ball joints i took it to my local garage to let them have a look, they took it for a test run and noticed the knocking noise, they failed to locate the cause, not the exhaust or the shockers .

Anyone had a similar fault or any ideas as to what it could be?

Reply to
Richard