Audi 2004 1.8T Quattro or 2004 Acura TL??

Hi all,

I am in the market for a new car. I would like opinions regarding the 2003 Audi 1.8T Quatro model. Any concerns/gripes/frustrations etc.......I test drove the car and it felt really "good". However the price is a little steep close to US $30k. A friend of mine also has the new 2004 Acura TL....and it looks really "sharp" and for a little extra (just like $2k more) you get way more bang for your buck (bigger car, bigger engine, more standard features etc). I currently own a Honda and so am a witness to their reliability. However, I have no experiece with German cars. So I would like opinions on whether previous Audi owners would still go for the much smaller Audi 1.8T rather than the abundant Acura TL.

PS - Auto consumer reports also show that the Audi reliability is not up to par with Acura......any truth to that?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Pumba

I bought an A4 1.8 q five weeks ago. I love the car but I am also getting a new, free turbo in about two weeks. Seems the original had a bug.

I test drove the TSX, Passat 4Motion and the G35X. None compare. The TL is close but the Japanese just miss the mark on fit and finish; compare the cabin in the A4 with the TL and the 4 will win. And 270 hp through the front wheels is too much. The TSX with 200 is too much; a great way to be pulled into the corners. And the Audi has quatto. And a bunch of other things that I found useful (split rear seats, ski sack) that the TL will never have. They have priced and packaged it very tightly but the answer really lies on the road. Drive them back to backon the same twisty road. More hp from the TL is maybe not the answer.

Reply to
Anonymous

Pumba, the following is a copy of my reply to the subjet on 16th april:- "Re: Hate, Envy and Angst: The Accord Owner belches about Audi A4: suspension damage after only 35K"

----------------------------- had a 2001 Honda accord EX-I4 manual for the past 2.5yrs - and then sold it in two seconds when I drove the 2001 A41.8Tq (with sports package) the other day!

What can I say - unbelievable, the torque, power and Quattro is amazing! I didn't get nearly the same excitement for the A4 2.8q. (and one of my friends has a chipped 99 A41.8Tq - that put a bigger smile on my face let me tell you!!!)

I test drove the Acura TSX last summer (ps I'm from England and now living in Canada) and I was not impressed - For me personally there is no comparison.

Well I sold my accord last November, and I am still saving money to this day to put a big chunk down on the 2002 A41.8Tq. Yep I going for the new shape!

The 325 BMW just did not give me the big smile on my face that the A4 gave me - yes it's all about smiles for me! yes the BMW was refined and silky smooth engine - but that A4 - throw that car round a corner at 80 km/h and.. and... oops sorry I seem to be smiling again.

Anyway that's just my opinion!

Darren

Reply to
darren

Great.....I thank all for their opinions.

What about the reliability of the 2004 Audi A4 1.8T? For the 2003 model.....consumer reports suggest its reliability is not up to par with Acura. All those die hard long time Audi owners want to shed some light?

I have been told that the maintenance costs for the Audi are much higher than that of the Acura........at least here in the US. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again!

Reply to
Pumba

The TL is indeed a very nice car, and would definitely win in a reliability contest. Don't get me wrong, the reliability of the A4's are good, but Honda/Acura (and Toyota ofcourse) are the bench marks here.

As far as power goes...the TL with its 270HP does the 1/4 in high 14 secs @

91mph. Any good chipped A4 1.8T will also do that with around 210HP!

I have never driven a TL, but drove a RSX-S. The RSX is definitely the best handling Acura (besides the NSX). Although the RSX is very tight and a blast to drive, it does not come close to the fun I have in my chipped A4. You simply cannot nail the accelerator pedal whenever you like as is the case with the all-wheel drive A4.

If you want space and reliability, go TL. For fun, drivability, traction in all conditions, finesse, go for the A4.

If you do decide on the A4, make sure it is a Quattro with the sport package( or ultra sport)

Good luck.

Reply to
AfourQ

ppl do not buy audis for their reliability. they might be alot of things but reliable isnt one of them. not that their unreliable - just that they need alot of TLC - its not the kind of car u wanna use as a beater.

the things that go wrong with it tend to be botherline necessary - suspension tends to be number 1 waste of money - but man what a suspension. i bought a 97 a41.8t a year ago and it drives better than most new american sedans u can get ure hands on. i wish i had the money to get a new turbo or have the torque on it fixed tho cus its absolute rubbish rite now.

but ive got to replace the control arms and like clock work, the wheel bearings are shot as well. lucky me.

the car is a sweet ride - when it works.

Reply to
Mr DJ

You also get the 4 year bumper to bumper with Audi. The Japanese don't get that part. They have good products but...

I don't know about the reliability > 4 yrs with the TL or TSX. It is probably good but then you are also getting less of a vehicle.

And I got the Tiptronic, Sport, Lighting and Premium packages. I mean, geez, if you are going to spend all that money (and it is a ton more here in Canada when you add 15% tax) why go small? Driving the is a pleasure, in all conditions.

Reply to
Anonymous

If bang/buck is the standard, German cars probably aren't the best choice. The TL is still a FWD car from a company that makes mostly econoboxes, no matter how much leather and wood they put into the interior. That's not bad, it's just reality.

For a good idea about the niggles of Audi cars, do a Google groups search in this ng for a list.

If reliability is the overall goal, stay with Acura/Honda. As a former Honda owner, I might own another Honda as a beater to haul trash/groceries/dirty kids, but my A4 is my primary transport. If interior room is important, then maybe an A4 Avant (wagon) would suit you better? They drive very nicely, and look pretty good too.

Consumer Reports is not a paragon for unbiased information, since the basis for their numbers are self-selected (unscientific) surveys. But the truth is this - Honda has a well-deserved reputation for excellence in reliability. Audi is not as good. It's a trade-off that many alt.autos.audi readers accept with relish.

List your automotive goals in order. If bang/buck and/or reliability come out on top, or very near the top, you should steer clear of German cars. If all-weather performance, well-balanced handling, style and/or luxury are on top, then an A4 might suit your needs, if you accept that it might not be as reliable as your previous Hondas.

If you ask the folks in the Honda newsgroup, the honest ones will tell you the same things I have.

Reply to
Jonesy

I have an '01 A4 purchased new; it is a V6 model with Quattro, sport package, etc.

Prior to this vehicle, I was all Honda/Acura. My wife just sold her

88 Camry to her sister; it now has 300,000+ miles on it! Very trouble-free.

As for my '01 A4, it has 40,000 miles on it and the only issue has been a wind noise problem on the drivers side door.

As for maintenance costs, it depends how long you will keep it. In the US, Audi covers ALL items (brakes, wiper blades, fluids) for the first 50,000 miles, so that is nice.

But, I agree with other posters, if you are looking "long-term - i.e.

250,000 miles), not sure Audi will compete as well as Toyota/Honda without significant additional costs.

YMMV.

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-this.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169 Anti-Spam filter in place--

Reply to
Curtis Newton

If you don't have the extra $$$ to go with the V6, pass the A4 and get the TL.

Reply to
Saintor

I can honostly say that if he does buy the A4 for the fun factor, a chipped

1.8T will be a far better choice. Better response in handling and acceleration. Granted not as smooth as the V6 , but definately more fun.

Try both and judge for yourself.........

My $0.02

Reply to
AfourQ

I have to largly agree here. If the 3.0 A4 is out of your price range - and especially if you're looking for an Auto rather than a stick - buy the TL. The Audi is more fun on Canyon roads IMO but the TL has the A4 beat on the price:performance ratio, and 270Hp is hard to argue with. Plus, chipping a 1.8T often means no warranty - I'm going trhough this with my Vw GTi 1.8T. Other than that, take a look at the G35 and Nissan's Maxima (obviously FWD doesn't bother you if the TL is a serious choice). OTOH, if it were my money and my purchase, I'd find a used 2001 S4 and snap it up. Even with the tip it'll do

0-60 in under 6 seconds, has standard Quattro and is a BLAST to drive. A used 2.7T A6 isn't a bad choice either.
Reply to
Steve Grauman

"Pumba" wrote in message news:mkUhc.3117$ snipped-for-privacy@ord-read.news.verio.net...

The good news is that maintenance is free for the first four years/50000 miles. The bad news is that after that, it's expensive. Brakes are great but don't last that long especially under spirited driving and when the pads wear out you can pretty much count on replacing the rotors since they have little meat available to machine. Audi has never been a paragon of reliability and that's not about to change. I've owned Audis for over 18 years so I've had some experience. My 98 A4 2.8 quattro has suffered from some of the common problems but also a couple of its own (clutch release bearing and climate control fan both under warranty). I'm about to do the timing belt and ancillary component replacement which typically runs well north of $1000 if the dealer does it. It's also leaking oil. Fortunately, I haven't suffered from the dreaded control arm problem which is likely a consequence of living in sunny and dry Arizona. Although I am not that familiar with the 1.8, people tell me that if you get the quattro on that car, you really won't be thrilled with the performance unless you chip it and if you do that, your warranty may be problematic. Also, IMHO, there is not much point to getting a non-quattro Audi. Speaking of quattro, I love it and it has always been one of the more reliable components of the car. Actually, the major Audi components like the drive train are pretty bullet-proof and engines like the old 5 cylinder seem to last forever. The bits and pieces that break are smaller but quite costly items: anyone remember the infamous breaking door handles of the older Audis? Goodness, I'll bet that if you went into a scrap yard that the door handles on 90% on non-Audis would still be functioning. Door handles are not rocket science. Then there's the more recent embarrassment of the failing coil packs. It's not like VW/Audi hasn't had about a century to develop coil technology. Or maybe they buy them from Lucas.

At any rate, this Audi will be my last for awhile and for my next car I will likely be returning to the rotary camp I left some 15 years ago. I suspect there are few stock A4's or TT's that could keep up to an RX-8. And it comes with about the same rear legroom as my A4. ;-)

Reply to
Ian S.

I don't agree. Even a great 4 can't match a good 6. BMW understood it. The driving experience is much more enhanced with a 6. I just don't like the tin-can sound of the 1.8T.

Too bad that VW/Audi 4 cyl. lost their velvety sound of the '80s. Then they were easy to recognize only by the sound.

Reply to
Saintor

Yes. The Acura will cost less to run, but it may not be as much fun as the Audi. What's important to you?

Reply to
xymergy

Merely your opinion. The Acura six is not in a league with the BMW six in any case. Add to that the cheesy FWD layout and it's inherent torque steer, and you have a poor driver's platform.

The reduction in weight from running a turbo four in the A4 makes the car more balanced. The 3.0 is nice, but it's heavy.

Not just any six, but an I6. And RWD. A V6 and FWD aren't in the same league.

LOL. From inside, you can't tell the difference in sound. Not even a trained musician can tell the difference. From outside, who cares? Tin can? Fart can mufflers are much more likely on an Acura, LOL.

LOL. What velvety sound? They sounded like underpowered 4-cyl, cast-iron block, Al-head motors, just like all the others. The only

4-cyl car that had any sort of sound recognition was maybe the 2.0L Alfa. Or the Mazda Miata.

Fawning over Honda products doesn't make them great. They have their place, and that's in the rear-view mirror of almost any European competitor. But hey, they *are* reliable, which means something. Saying that they are some sort of driving machinery flies in the face of real experience.

Reply to
Jonesy

Not only it is in the same league, but it betters all its specs in the same price range +/- 20%. Some will prefer the BMW I6 and others will prefer the Acura V6 which has a terrific sound at 6000-7000rpm.

It is only between the two ears of the believer. Again, yesterday in the SCCA Touring, a mere RSX won the race SCCA Touring at Atlanta over a crowd of 325s.

Oh no, you are dead wrong here; VW/Audi 4 cyl. pre-Mk III had a very distinct sound for whoever really knows the brand.

So Eric has AGAIN a new identity; Jonesy. Of course.

Reply to
Saintor

I gotto agree with the sound factor...6's do sounds sweet. A great 4 not matching a good V6 though??? in terms of what, cause a chipped

1.8T will always outperform the 3.0L V6, with better fuel efficiency.

It is all about what he is looking for.

BMW uses flat 6's to get great torque figures.

It is like comparing the 2.7T to the 4.2L V8 in the S4. A chipped 2.7T will always outrun the V8 (by the way, the 2.7T stock is just as fast as the 4.2L V8 in the S4)

Reply to
AfourQ

They do? Porsche use flat sixes, BMW use In-line sixes.

Reply to
Peter Bell

Specs??? As in "bench racing?"

FWD will never be a real driver's platform.

I do believe that the Acura is the torque-steer leader in the cost category.

And some will actual prefer *driving* a well-balanced I4 turbo car that costs less than either of the other two, and can outperform the Acura on everything except bone-dry tarmac. And you can't hear it inside the cabin anyway!

What does a race-prepped RSX have to do with a road-going TL? Other than the manufacturer name on the trunklid?

B.S.

But you can claim it all you want - you haven't a shred of proof to back up your silly claim.

Jeez, you are terribly slow, aren't you?

Reply to
Jonesy