Audi 2004 1.8T Quattro or 2004 Acura TL??

It sure does. Without it, you have no PROOF. Just pissing in the wind.

It wasn't a compliment, dumbass. It was derisive.

More proof that you aren't very bright (as if I needed to help prove that to anyone.)

Must really make you mad that I spoil your fun so. I'm going to keep doing it, too - and you can't stop me.

Reply to
Jonesy

"Pumba" wrote in message news:mkUhc.3117$ snipped-for-privacy@ord-read.news.verio.net...

Having owned both an Acura and an Audi, I can attest that Acuras are somewhat more reliable in the grand scheme of things. However, if total cost of ownership is your primary concern, don't mistake more reliable in a general sense for inexpensive. Because my Acura was far and away the most expensive car I've ever had to maintain. First of all, the maintenance schedule for Acuras is overly extensive and very rigid to boot. So visits to the dealer add up quickly. Secondly, the drivetrain appears to be the only thing about Acuras that truly is reliable. As everything else about them -- at least in the case of my Acura -- seems to be made of flimsy junk. For instance, the sheet metal on my old Integra was so thin that on more than one occasion a simple door ding literally put a huge dent in a body panel (the impact I saw occur should not have caused such extensive damage) -- thus causing it to have to be replaced. And items as elemental as interior plastics and even body paint (mostly on the bumpers) had a tendency to just fall (or peel) off without warning -- again causing replacement or repair. So, all in all, I wouldn't exactly recommend an Acura for someone who views reliability/overall cost as a major factor in their car buying decision making process. Because the existing reliability of the drivetrain appears only to mask the poor quality of all the things that reliability ratings tend not to assess. And that doesn't even take into account the Acura dealership experience, which is perhaps as bad as such a thing can get.

As for my Audi A4....it's had a few niggling problems in the 2+ years that I've owned it. But all service and repairs have been completely free so far (up until 4 years or 50k miles); my dealership experiences have been nothing but great; and the cars materials and workmanship seem to be of a very high caliber.

That said, if I were asked to make a recommendation to someone who held reliability as their foremost concern in deciding on a sports sedan, I'd probably steer them to Infiniti. Having owned one of those as well, I can attest that most of what is right about Audis is also right about Infinitis. The cars are solidly built all around, have a decent amount of sporting "character" (which is rare for a Japanese car), and (perhaps unlike Audi....I don't know yet) the costs of ownership are very reasonable due to a flexible service schedule and very few "out of the blue" repairs. And, of course, the dealer experience at Infiniti is beyond reproach. Thus, even though I prefer my current Audi to my old Infiniti, I think highly enough of that marquee to enthusiastically recommend it to anyone who places reliability as the absolute first item on their list of priorities.

Rob

Reply to
+ Rob +

Total errata, but interesting:

My brother in law rolled a Acura TL 3 times. He was doing 75-80 mph. Airbags deployed - all but the drivers side.

As a result, he's taking a dirt nap now. My sister and three kids left behind.

I've owned three Audi Quattros. None feel as twitchy or soft as any Acura or Honda I've ever driven. Honda is making cars for numb skilled folks. Audi makes cars for drivers.

Reply to
bmwloco

Have to agree there. Wasn't it Dr. Porsche who said, "If god intended for us to drive front wheel drive cars, he'd have us walking on our hands."? or something like that...

OTOH, the incessant flame wars between Jonsey and Saintor are a waste of bandwidth! Get over it.

Reply to
Earnest

My condolences about your brother-in-law.

I've only ever test driven one Honda, a previous-generation Acura TL, but I must say I agree regarding the general feel. Everything felt artificial, detached, and overboosted. Turning the steering wheel felt like you were turning a dial with no mechanical connection to the wheels, moving the shift lever felt like flicking a toggle switch, and I felt like I was riding "on" the car rather than "in" it. The next stop was the Audi dealership - the Audi (an A6 3.0) just felt, well, more like a *real car*. (I ended up with a Passat, for what may seem like a silly reason - the thickness of the dash stack and the placement of the pedals on the Audi - but the same goes for the Passat; it feels much more "real" than the Acura did.)

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

When you walk, do you also direct your way with hands? We change direction with same feet as we go forward with, like in FWD.

And so on, these will never end.

- Yak

Reply to
Michael Burman

One can only hope Dr. Porsche wasn't that big of a nitwit...

Reply to
daytripper

Good advice. I suggest you take it. He's an ass, I'm an ass - so what?

;)

Reply to
Jonesy

It would be nice, if that were true. The problem is this: the dealer can just say "no." And then you have to start jumping through hoops, even if you are 100% correct.

You then complain to Audi of America. They give you the runaround. You give up because the hassle is too much. They win, even if you never buy another car from them. (Short-term gain is everything in the business world.)

It's shitty that they act like this, but a lot of them, not just Audi, act like this. Hell, I'd bet that some MBA genius gives dealers brownie points for refusing warranty claims. After all, once they say "no," *you're* the poor sucker who has to prove them wrong.

Reply to
Jonesy

I know; this is the normal nature of persons like you with quite a few chronic mental problems. I am sure you will find at least one psychiatrist in Oregon. Good luck.

Reply to
Saintor

LOL. You're not smart enough to recognize mental problems. Don't flatter yourself as having anything more than a high school education, and even then, your grades would not have got you into college. Too bad for you, obvious to everyone else.

Why would I do that? I don't live there, after all.

Reply to
Jonesy

I'm sorry I was thinking A6/RS6. but the BMW is a straight six not Vee

Reply to
Tha Ghee

I have to strongly disagree. I have been a VAG customer for 20 yrs and have purchased a Jetta and the A4 from the same dealer. The cost to acquire new customers is many times that of repeat. All businesses require repeat customers, full stop.

Reply to
Cam Newton

With which part? That they will deny warranty claims for just about any reason? The internet is full of stories about denied claims, for ludicrous reasons. On Audis and VWs.

So you'd think that they'd be smart and honor just about any reasonable warranty claim. Yet they do not. You'd think they'd weed out the crappy dealers, the ones who treat their customers poorly. Yet they do not.

The bottom line is that if you chip the car, VW or Audi, many dealers will deny just about any warranty claim, even those not related to the drivetrain, leaving you to prove, in court, that the chip did not cause the damage. And VAG is not the only company to do this kind of thing. They ALL do it, because they can. You will note that this is not in the realm of the speculative, but based on reality.

Reply to
Jonesy