Audi A4 Avant 2002 -Problems

I bought an Audi in March 2002. It is a 1.8T Multitronic. This gearbox is a real delight. All auto boxes should be this good. My problems started in October 2002. I was on holiday & one of the engine in- line coils gave up. Unfortunately I was about 80 miles from the nearest dealer, so had to spend 2 days with recovery & pick up the day after. About a month later another in-line coil failed. Great! Getting fed up now. This has happened again in June 2003. The Audi Technician took pity this time & replaced the last one just in case. Other problems I have encountered are Defective Rear window defeat switch on drivers door. This means anyone in the back has to ask me to open their window for them! & One of the rear windows would not open or close intermittently. The rear tailgate would not close one one occation (nothing impeding this physically), I eventually got it to close by operating the electronic lock- unlock Key several times, The warning light remained on for most of my journey home (60 miles), & corrected itself about 5 miles from home. The local dealership are total rip off merchants charging £ 58 for 6ltrs of engine oil.(At service) When asked why this was so expensive they simply said it was very special oil! They also failed to carry out the warranty repair to the window defeat switch despite being asked to do so. Thier response was to suggest I book the car back in again. (No thanks) They also tried to sell me a new set of wiper blades for £20. Nothing particularly wrong with the ones fitted. (I can refill the blades for £1.27 from one of my suppliers).

All in all I would say the Audi is a good car to drive and admire. Sadly marred by random electrical problems and possibly poor random dealerships. What should I buy next?

Reply to
Bruce Bradbury

This is a known problem, So shouldnt happen again

Easy warranty issue, just book it in to be done in the next service

Your driving a 1.8 Turbo, you have been given Fully Synthentic Oil, which is more expensive then the oil you used to put in your Escort.

It is a performance engine, and needs performance oil,

£58.00 for 6 litres is reasonable, for fully synthetic

repair to the window defeat switch despite being asked to do so. Thier

Perhaps you were the one being un-reasonable? If they asked you too book it in, then book it in

They also

£20.00 quid for wipers? that is the normal price, why are you driving an audi, if you are worried about a £20.00 set of wipers, perhaps you should also ask for Remould tyres on the next tyre change.

I would say IMO that owning an Audi, is obviously too expensive for you, and I would sell it asap, becasue you will be spending alot more money in the near future.

Audi's are nice cars and enjoyable to drive, but you have to look after them, if you neglact them and choose inferior parts then you are asking for trouble.

Quit while your ahead, and part ex it in for a mondeo or a vectra.

Ronny

Reply to
Ronny

They also

£20 is a good price. Halfords want £12.50 each. The Audi ones have an extra blade support too.
Reply to
Paul