Crazy lights on '02 A4 1.8T - can anyone shed any light on this?

Ok Sorry for the bad stab at humor.

The left taillight on my Audi went out recently, and everytime I started the car the warning came on the panel in the dash. Within a few days the dash warning panel starting beeping twice, indicating that my right rear brakelight was now also out. Then within a day or two the left indicator signal. Interestingly the left indicator light warning started and then stopped. When the indicator warning came on,it was actually not working, and the indcator would flash at double speed.

Took it to Audi, by which time the indicator light was now wroking, the other two not. They explained afterwards that it was just bulbs and I was on my way. 10 days later, taillight warning comes and goes. Then right rear brake light comes on and stays on. Taillight now working. A week later the left indicator light starts doing its thing again. So I am back to a non working right brake light and a sometimes working left indicator light. This does not sound like a bulb problem.

I have it booked in for repair this coming weekend, but want to be able to at least sound as if I know where the problem could be before I let them just "replace bulbs " again. I find that most auto dealers are quite happy to have a car under warranty back again and again and I don't have the time or the patience to go through this again.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

Reply to
muk

Sounds like you have an intermittent short in the tail light wiring harness. I'm not sure where it is routed but any place that can cause flex is likely but on an A4 I can't think where that would be.

T> Ok Sorry for the bad stab at humor.

Reply to
Tony

Pull the suspect bulbs and have a close look at the filaments. I have had situations where the filament broke but then "reconnected" itself for a while with the vehicle motion.. Gives the symptoms you describe. Rgds Alec

Reply to
Alec

thanks for the replies.

i think the wiring harness explanantion could be one to assess.

if this was a faulty bulb, why would these lights be fine for 2/12 years then go out in this fashion, the bulbs replaced and then go out in exactly the same fashion 2-3 weeks later?

by the way, after dealing with audi this past week, i am ready to change to a different make of car. their service is absolutely awful.

thanks again.

Reply to
muk

I'm sorry, it looks like your dealer sucks rocks. Some are great, some are not. I like mine very much and would actually consider buying a car from them (I bought mine from my sister) now that I've had some time to deal with them and feel they're not out to rip me off. They're very service oriented and willing to discuss problems and solutions.

Reply to
KLS

well, you are right. the whole of the vancouver area has 3 audi dealers only. the lower mainland is it is called is quite spread out. so firstly it takes time to get to one. secondly the wait to get in for a service is unacceptably long.thirdly, it is almost impossible to get a loaner vehicle while your car is tied up.

i have tried two of the three dealers. will contact no. 3 tommorow and see how that goes.

cheers

Reply to
muk

Sounds about right for Audi electrical.